Del sol brake upgrade suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redneck999

I am going to 17" tires abd wheels and are feeling that I should upgrade my front and rear brakes and are looking for affordable ideas, possibly even junk yard swaps, any ideas would be great!

if you have a stock car you really dont need to "upgrade" your brakes just because your getting bigger rims.

but if you was to do anything i would just replace your rear drums with si or vtec discs, its not like replacing stock brakes with racecar ones but its a good start and del sol disc brakes are extremely good.

Could always get some hawk pads that would also help ya stock disk stop faster and hawk pads are not a hudge dent in ya poket eather! :D

As of last week my local yard has only 1 del sol and it has rear disks but someone has already robbed the calipers and it had been hit hard in the pass rear crushing the rear brake, but we have lots of old civic coupes and a few hatches.

The only reason for the upgrade in brakes idea was that with the larger wheels that i would loose some braking so i started thinking maybe larger drums. My car originally came with 13" wheels, also this car is my daily driver, no racing or anything.

you know those people that put the 24" rims on crown vic?????
i highly doubt any of them upgraded on brakes. and stock crowns came with 15"

IMO the weight of the new 17" would be lighter then the stock wheel (or whatever you may have there).. so as long as you don't increase the over all Diameter of the wheel, breaking should actually improve? Someone may want to correct me if they think I'm wrong

I got 17's on my sol and the rotors and calipers look like they are getting eaten by a breaching whale... there is just sooooo much space there, plus nothing sets off a nice set of rims with shiny new gear under neath them..

unfortunately I'm not aware of any companies that make caliper and rotor combo's for the rear that are worth mentioning... Wilwood is an aftermarket caliper and rotor producer.. and they only make a single piston caliper with a mechanical park break.... which if you look at a del sol vtec thats exactly whats there.. so other then maybe.. say a bigger rotor, there isn't much advantage in rear break upgrade IMO... Other then looking good..

Wilwoods site can be found here if you were interested in looking for you self..

P.S. A company call Powerslot makes a caliper braket that allows you to run a bigger rotor with a stock caliper... IMO the best bang for the buck FOR THE REAR... but if your working with rear Drums you still have to come across a Del Sol or (Integra?) with rear disks and cannibalize it so maybe a wilwood kit is the choice for your situation just my $0.02...

Back