Dellware

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

It seems like an increasing growing trend this year. First Nvidia gobbled up Uli, follow by Seagate taking over Maxtor, and now Alienware being bought by Dell.

Hopefully all of this will end up being lower prices however, this can also go the other way. They can corner the market not to mention staffle (sp?) competition which inheritingly brings better products. DAMN.

This particular merging doesnt affect me much since I build my own rigs, but for those looking into high-end pcs hopefully Alienware will continue using AMD and not become a XPS (xtreme piece of shit) Dell system. Also, it could mean shitty ass customer service from someone you can barely understand thats reading off a screen with a level of atitupde for computers as my non english speaking grandparents.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1381

Alienware says it will be unaffected by the acquisition but at the same time seeks to embrace Dell's methodologies

Alienware and Dell have announced an agreement to merge, with Dell buying the Miami company. Alienware has long been a very independent company with a strong focus on highly tuned customer support and customization. Alienware pioneered the custom PC business by doing such things as: customizing the manual in the customer's name; including benchmarks of the system, installing and tweaking drivers, and installing whatever games the customer wanted. Long story short, Alienware gave great individualized attention to its patrons.

We believe that this acquisition will offer our customers the best of both worlds — an Alienware that takes advantage of the world-class business practices and operational efficiencies that have made Dell one of the most respected companies in the world, while preserving the DNA of the Alienware brand and product strategy portfolio.

Alienware says that Dell executives have agreed to let Alienware operate independently, with its own marketing and product strategies. In the above statement however, it's clear that Alienware expects to embrace some of Dell's own strengths, which sit squarely in the realm of low cost, mass production, and offshore support. All of these traits give Dell its strength -- besides its sell direct approach, which Alienware already does.

Surprisingly, Rahul Sood, VoodooPC's president and our resident blogger recently predicted that Dell would buy Alienware in a blog he wrote several weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how Dell corporate will transform Alienware. Nelson Gonzalez, Chief Executive Officer of Alienware has a statement.

Interestingly, Alienware sells PCs based on AMD's processors, but Dell does not.

doesnt matter, alienware has been shit for the last 5 years or so anyway.

they turned there back on the "gaming" market in order to make money.
they have been no different from companies like dell and gateway for a long time.
they are just more expensive because of there reputation they built 10 years ago for badass gaming rigs.

Alienware is a shell of its' former self, hiding behind their giant suppository-shaped cases to appeal to people with too much money.

Alienware hasn't done anything really great in the last 5 years.

The ONLY thing that I hope comes from this is Dell getting into the AMD game. That would deliver a serious blow to Intel who have always been able to rely on Dell as a supplier of Intel-only systems.

Quoted post[/post]]
The ONLY thing that I hope comes from this is Dell getting into the AMD game. That would deliver a serious blow to Intel who have always been able to rely on Dell as a supplier of Intel-only systems.

The problem is, with alienware being the one that's being bought out, if anything Dell will impose their intel-only iron curtain onto Alienware. Hopefully they won't, I don't think they will, but it's possible.

Alienware customers are too fond of choice to let Dell do that.

it might not be a bad thing for a while for dell using only intel. as of now, the current tests show conroe shitting all over the amd x2s, even in gaming. however, this isnt final as conroe wont be released for a few more months and im sure amd wont just sit and watch.

again, i dont really care either as i build my own rigs.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

The problem is, with alienware being the one that's being bought out, if anything Dell will impose their intel-only iron curtain onto Alienware. Hopefully they won't, I don't think they will, but it's possible.

Alienware customers are too fond of choice to let Dell do that.

I don't think they will. Forcing Alienware to Intel only systems would sink it faster than anything else.

I think Dell did this to start supporting AMD. They've mulled the idea over countless times.

Quoted post[/post]]
it might not be a bad thing for a while for dell using only intel. as of now, the current tests show conroe shitting all over the amd x2s, even in gaming. however, this isnt final as conroe wont be released for a few more months and im sure amd wont just sit and watch.

again, i dont really care either as i build my own rigs.
:withstupid:

I've built my own pc as well. As for laptops, I wouldn't even consider buying either of those brands unless I got it for next to nothing. Panasonic Toughbooks are where it's at.

well the only commercials ive seen for alienware have the Intel Inside symbol at the end of it...i dont think they are going to pushing AMD...and they really should.

maybe Dell will let Alien keep using the AMD and just supply it with other better parts to bring back the name, and since they own it theyd still make money. That is unless they wanted to eliminate them for their XPS line...

Back