DH racing headwork anyone help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Samuels

I talked to DH Racing today about porting my gen 1 b16 head. Please give me some guidance. The packages come with the following for 750 with my core.

Diamond milling
Bead blasted head and combustion chambers
3 angle valve job
high flow racing valves
line honed cam journals
hot tanking

The 2nd option we discussed and he recommened was all of the above and
Welded combustion chambers
completely blended and shaved
big port n polish

He said i'd run 11:3/4 compression ratio on pump gas and would surely be a 13 sec car on my stock bottom end thoughts?

He also said he has ECU upgrades for his headwork for 300. thoughts?
I told him that i've been told that its worthless unless you have a dyno its a waste of cash especially the ebay 1's. thoughts?

My goal is to have a high 13 sec car preferably all motor ride that I can spray lightly only at the track. The car is a 90 hatch. thanks

i would think a B16 plus some sticky tires would net you at least low 14's in a 90 hatch...

sounds like a shit load of work on the head... and its a shit load of money...

you throw 750 towards some turbo parts and you're halfway there...

or how about a B20 block for 500-700?

Contact Robert Martin of Rocket Motorsports about headwork, he does awesome work, will probably match or better that price for the work you just stated, provided he is taking any more head jobs right now. He was pretty stacked with work when I visited him a little while ago, but he may be taking more now. I'm sure you don't need all that work to meet your goals.

The guy sounded very knowledgable and said he owns several records. He said his port work is 2nd to none. I'm just don't know much about building engines.

The car would probably run low 14's on slicks but I wanna run high 13's with street tires.

I have a local guy that will do port work for 550 but its in the country and i'm kinda hesitant thier more v8 guys.

you know whats funny is on here and h-t i've never found one person with there headwork. i tried setting up somthing with him but he never got back to me. imo he's kinda shady but it would be nice to see a before and after dyno.

Originally posted by Samuels@Mar 22 2005, 08:24 PM
The guy sounded very knowledgable and said he owns several records. He said his port work is 2nd to none. I'm just don't know much about building engines.

The car would probably run low 14's on slicks but I wanna run high 13's with street tires.

I have a local guy that will do port work for 550 but its in the country and i'm kinda hesitant thier more v8 guys.
[post=477354]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I did my own pnp on my ls head, and Robert compared my work to a lot of the work that he has seen come from pro shops; he also said it was a lot better work than a lot of other shops as well. It's all the welding and machining equipment I don't have that is keeping me from doing all my own work in house. I have discovered that machine work, aside from those companies that do CFD analysis, is purely a rule of thumb type of deal. It just takes time and a little intuition as to how things work. You should consider doing your own head work, it's not that hard, and then take whatever work you can't do to a respectable shop that you know, and has vouches for their work that you can quantify. If DH has his name slapped on top racecars, and you've seen it, and know without a doubt he's good, then go for it if you have the dough. I don't put my money into people I don't know anymore as a result of bad experiences, both personally and by friends. Just know what to expect from a shop, that's my best advice. I am going to be doing a b16 head pnp this summer, and hopefully will be able to flowbench the ls head I have done already against a stocker just to see how well I did. When I get my stuff back, tested and posted up on here for others to see, and if you like the work I did, I'll do your head for super cheap, if your willing to wait for it. I need the experience. But like I said, I highly recommend you do it yourself, if for nothing else, to make you feel a little more confident in the work that you do on the car.

Dunno maybe the combustion chambers. Is that what would give me a higher compression on his headwork?

DH racing claims to make a manifold that will give an s2000 40 horsepower :bs:. plus on H-T I have heard more then one horror story about how the owner took his money and didn't do the stated work that was paid for. I would spend my money at a more reputable place like RLZ , Alaniz or Tom at Portflow. I have heard very little complaints about the above stated in the quality of work performed, or customer service. and damn that is one powerful b16

Back