1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't pass smog. Fix or sell? 92 Civic Si Hatch with B18A1.

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by excivic92SI, Feb 29, 2012.

1. excivic92SI

excivic92SI New Member

92 Civic Si Hatch with 92 Integra B18A1.

It did not pass a test-only smog. My emission results are below. The state will give me 1500 for it and I'll go buy a new car, which I really don't want to do. Either that or I have to fix it with a new catalytic converter, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. I will have a mechanic do it for it, because I wouldn't know what I'm doing. Other problems: There's a knocking noise on the front left wheel when accelerating, gears get stuck (ie, can't get out of 5th without slightly tapping the gas with clutch down first), it grinds on third gear when switching > 2K RPM, and a small coolant leak.

Do you guys think a new catalytic converter will be the main thing that fixes the smog issue? I don't want to spend money to 'fix' this only to have the car not pass again.

Or how much could I get for it if I sell it to say, someone on Craigslist or an EG/EH enthusiast? It averages 39 MPG.

Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

High NOx is caused by high combustion temps

Could be running lean... Clogged injectors or filter?
    Could be a vacuum leak
    Could just be too low octane fuel
    Could be that the cat wasnt at propper operating temp

3. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i just failed not long ago on the same test.. i applied for the repair assistance.. they told me i needed a new o2 sensor and a new coolant temp sensor

4. excivic92SI

excivic92SI New Member

The BAR website says they're not accepting applications until July. Also, it's now based on income elegibility. sigh

Great suggestions. Other any suggestions before I hit up a mechanic?

5. excivic92SI

excivic92SI New Member

In fact, I just called BAR and all funds for retirement and repair assistance have been exhausted until July.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted