Difference between Kouki (97-98) 240sx SE & LE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hexen

No more nissantech. :(

I'm looking for a list of things that are different between the LE and the SE models of the Kouki 240sx. This is what I know...

There is a base model, don't buy it.

The SE is the "sports model."
and the LE is obviously the "luxury model."

Now most places I've looked say that the LE has EVERYTHING that the SE has, plus leather, standard moonroof, remote entry & security and a CD player.
But then I have also read other forums aboiut z32 brake swaps that won't clear the LE wheels, but will clear SE wheels? Are they different?

Do both come with fog lamps..?
Is the suspension the same? I've heard that the SE has "sport suspension."

I know there are some Nissan guys still out there... come on :)

Anyhow... story time. Over the weekend a friend and I picked up two 300zx's (both for him unfortunately... a 90 2+2 and a 91 2+2 which is totaled.)

We got the 90 with 260k miles on it for a flat trade for his 89 CRX DX with 160k miles. The tranny whines a bit, but seem like it runs strong, we've driven it over 100 miles with no real problems.
Now we got the 91 for $2000, let me explain.
The 91 is totaled from the passenger side, the guys cousin took a turn to quick and gave a tree some lovin'. It's mostly towards the back... the hood closes and everything, doesn't seem like the front end was damaged at all.
The 91 also comes with a motor and tranny with 20k miles on them, brembo brakes up front, tokiko coilovers, JDM tails, HID's up front... and it's black (the 90 is graphite).
So we're pretty much going to be parting the car out and doing a complete drivetrain swap over to the 90, toss the brembo, HIDs, tokiko's etc... over to the 90, and attempt to sell off anything else (body panels.. still good paint, the T tops were off so are in perfect condition... things like that, just to make some cash back.)

So it's a project, and it's going to start this weekend it seem like... I'm also getting a complete braking system (front and rear, but not the brembos :( ) for free, because I still plan on buying a 240 and thats the first thing I'll upgrade (hell it's free).

-Hexen

It depends on the factory options the origianl buyer chose. I have heard that almost all SE models are Automatic trans, which is hella weak cause the 5 speed is where it's at.

Pick up a non-SE base model. you will pay a lot less for it and will be able to find a 5-speed. The SE has the same engine and everything, but the only benefit to the SE is that it has a bit stronger suspension and it has the 5-lug bolt pattern. If you are switching over to 300ZX brakes, just grab some stuff off of the other 300 and you will have a complete 300ZX suspension setup complete with 5-lug hubs. The Earth's End project 240SX that I posted up in this forum has the 5-lug 300ZX brake conversion. I can give you the guy who built it's email address if you want to find out more about the brake conversion first-hand.

The only other benefit to the SE is the OPTIONAL LSD. Not all SE's have it so it's kind of a gamble, but LSD's can be picked up for cheap anyway. IMO the SE isn't worth it because all the good upgrades override the benefits of getting the SE in the first place.

I read somewhere that all of the LE's have the VLSD.

I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I would definately do the z32 brake swap. And the good thing is that since he has a 90 NA it has the 26mm Aluminum capipers (only yaer they did that), so we're swapping the 91 30mm Steel ones onto his car (along with the brembo rotors) and I get the lighter ones <woot>.

I've found a few good sites with info on the brake swap, but PM me the guys email because I would definately like to talk with him about it and how he felt it changed the braking power of his car.

The craptastic thing is that I live in Northern Cali and there are NO freaking Kouki's out here. Everywhere I've looked they are either in LA, Texas, or Florida/Georgia. It doesn't make me very happy, I seriously might see one a month out here, and I live in a University town where everyone has a fucking Import. And the one I did see I asked the guy if he was selling it, and he was like "hah, sorry no man, took me a year to find this one."

Nor Cal? How north are we talking? I live in Southern Oregon... lol probably 2 or 3 hours from the cali border. The one he did the conversion to was not a kouki, but it looks the same from the fenders back. he put the s15 front end on it and everything. I've seen a few Koukis around here but none for sale. I think the koukis are just generally hard to find - they really dropped in popularity in the late 90s, which I think is why Nissan didn't bother continuing the line. PM coming your way.

I live near Sacramento (in Davis actually).

I would like to see pictures of that s15 conversion, it does look nice.
The main reason to even get the Kouki though is for the "evil eyes" front end... I don't think I could live with myself with the rounded front end (don't know the name for the 95-96 S14).

So yea, if you're going to do a s15 swap then its worth it to just get the older ones, but I don't ever plan on doing that... so I'm looking for the Kouki.. .and I'm pretty particular, I only want it in Black with the Grey or Black interior... SE or LE.. doesn't really matter to me. I'm not a huge fan of leather, but I would take an LE.

But no base model for me, even though you can swap the whole z32 assembly over... the base doen't come with power anything I dont think, and it's going to be my daily driver, I love my power windoww/locks and AC in my ol' EX civic heh. Couldn't deal without them.

The Zenki (that's what it's called iirc) that Keith picked up has power windows and locks and a/c... and a sunroof... and it's a base model. has cloth interior.

the pics of the car are on this page...

240sx

he nabbed it for a grand with 120k miles or so and front end damage. I think he's in the car a total of about 8 grand, but he gets dealer prices on everything because he owns the shop :p

The S15 front end look great as do the brakes.

I'm not to sure on the paint and other things.. not my thing.
But definatly some good work done to that thing.

I sent him over an email a bit earlier, waiting on the reply.

Originally posted by Hexen@Jul 15 2004, 04:14 PM
the base doen't come with power anything I dont think, and it's going to be my daily driver, I love my power windoww/locks and AC in my ol' EX civic heh. Couldn't deal without them.

pussy ;)

Whatever man, I know you commute too heh.

I'm all about the life of luxury. It's hot outside.. AC is how we conquered nature.

And I don't want to scratch my shit up with my keys, so the remote entry will be nice... you should see the area around my keyhold on my civic, it's pretty bad.

Back