differences between ls and gsr blocks???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

welfare

Ancient Member
Hey guys, I think I have a good question here:
What are the Physical differences between an LS and a GSR block?
Besides the obvious facts that its not vtec and doesn't have oil squirters, are there any physical differences?
Could I put a GSR rotating assy in an LS block or are the main journal bores smaller/bigger? also height of the block?
The reason I am asking is because I want to build my engine, but it's my daily driver, I have a gsr with a jackson supercharger on it and it uses an alternator reolcator and a few other things that I wanted to know if they would work on the LS engine. I know it won't work on a b16 because the block is physically shorter than a b18, but I didn't know about b18a/b to b18c1.
I already have an Ls block that has been sitting in my basement and is in good shape, so could I put in a gsr crank and then use aftermarket rods and pistons for a gsr in it? Or would I have to deck the block. I can deal with losing the squirters and I have already built an ls vtec so I would just do that in order to put the gsr head on the block.
Any imput would be greatly appreciated, GSR blocks are just so expensive and LS blocks are cheaper, that and I just wanna do it over the winter and then put the block in in one shot come spring without the downtime of putting the parts into my gsr block.

B18A/B and B20B block deck height = 211.84 mm

B18C1 and B18C5 block deck height = 212.39 mm

so your compression ratio will drop a little, but i think everything should bolt up the same as on the gsr block, the crank should fit right in, and if you use the gsr block girdle then you need to switch over the gsr oil pan, windage tray, and oil pickup

So I would need to deck the block almost a mm for it to be dead on? Cool, that is all I needed to know.
And if anyone else would like to comment. . .

well i mean if you wanted to raise the compression you could just use a two or one layer head gasket, decking the block a mm might throw off timing a bit, but i'm not completely sure of that

basically I don't want the pistons to be too low, I want them to come all the way to the top of the block, I can always compansate for the timing with adj. cam gears, Ill throw a mock setup in an see where everything lies, if it looks off then Ill jsut build the LS as an LS and forget about the gsr stroke and all that. I just wanna make sure everyhitng fits before I send the block for sleeves.
Thanks for the input!

Yup, all the B18 bottom end parts are interchangeable.

Back