Discussion:Flywheel.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bjfisher

Ok, there are two schools of thought when it comes to flyewheels.Light or heavy?For the motor i'm building (h23vtec-turbo later) i'll be drag racing.Some say to have a lightened one would be better to keep the rpms up with out slouching off after a shift.then some say lightened one would be better so that the rpms would raise quicker.i guess its like 6 of one, a half dozen of another.

in my position, which one do you think would be better?explanations would be great, i'd really like some informative information to come out of this.

i work at a machine shop, and the thought crossed my mind, that IF indeed, i were to go with a lightened flywheel, i could try to make one myself using my stock h22 flywheel and machining it as well as turning it.

so let the discussion commence.......

Light flywheel = faster revving
You won't be able to safely machine your stock flywheel down to the weight of aftermarket flywheels... just buy one if you want the best drag strip performance without sacrificing safety.

your post makes no sense.

Some say to have a lightened one would be better to keep the rpms up with out slouching off after a shift.then some say lightened one would be better so that the rpms would raise quicker.i guess its like 6 of one, a half dozen of another.

Are you trying to say that some people say a HEAVIER flywheel would be better? And if so, why? Do you see any aftermarket WEIGHTED flywheels? Nope. Why? Because lighter is better, mang.

Use the search function to look for any post containing "flywheel" that I've written. You'll find a lot of good stuff. I've written quite a bit about lightweight flywheels here on HondaSwap.

YEAH YOU FUCKING NOOB USE THE FUCKING SEARCH BUTTON!!!! jk. and in all actuality i have nothing to add to this thread. :p

Well one problem with lighten flywheels is they are much harder to launch. There is defently a too light point in drag racing. If you were into road racing, I say light as hell, but in your case, somewhere around a 11 or 12lb fw would be a good weight to aim for.

why 11 or 12lb?just bc of launching?if so,couldnt i learn???

a 7 or 8 pound flywheel will drop the revs off too quickly, you'll probably end up stalling the car 4 or 5 times.

umm, it may be me, but in a high revving drag application you SHOULD use a heavier flywheel.

here comes the arguement about "rotating mass" etc. that only applies when accelerating in a positive or negative.

look at a rotary drag car....heavy ass flywheel. why? so there is absolutely on loss during shifts, and it carries momentum better into the next gear.

feel free to argue with me. road race, any thing with down and upshifts, use lighter. if all you are doing is accelerating as hard as you can, and upshifting, heavier is better. assuming you can get your car upto rpm before the lights go green. lol

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 5 2004, 04:52 PM
umm, it may be me, but in a high revving drag application you SHOULD use a heavier flywheel.

here comes the arguement about "rotating mass" etc. that only applies when accelerating in a positive or negative.

look at a rotary drag car....heavy ass flywheel. why? so there is absolutely on loss during shifts, and it carries momentum better into the next gear.

feel free to argue with me. road race, any thing with down and upshifts, use lighter. if all you are doing is accelerating as hard as you can, and upshifting, heavier is better. assuming you can get your car upto rpm before the lights go green. lol
[post=426604]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, thats exactly the other side of the contraversy i wanted discussed :)

no problem. i must stress though, that the opinion i expressed is my own. and that i have that opinion based of what i've seen, read, and the physics i've taken over the past couple years. i could be incorrect, but i am pretty sure about my response.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Dec 5 2004, 02:01 AM
YEAH YOU FUCKING NOOB USE THE FUCKING SEARCH BUTTON!!!! jk. and in all actuality i have nothing to add to this thread. :p
[post=426462]Quoted post[/post]​

hey this isnt honda-tech, LOL.

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 5 2004, 04:52 PM

[post=426604]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

The 8.8 is just too light.

seems to me, heavier is better for this piece *shruggs*

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Dec 6 2004, 04:55 PM
My stock flywheel works just fine. I would rather spend my money on more important things.
[post=427204]Quoted post[/post]​

when building a race car, you look at all aspects. well, when fully building. but i do understand your point.

Back