distributor tech!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Arachnid

ok, i want to check my distributor if it's working. Is there a way to check for amp/voltage/ohm/etc on the ignition coil. is there any way besides mounting the dizzy in it's place to tell if the dizzy will spark and within the correct order.

when my motor blew up i pulled the head to see what went first. as i'm taking off the distributor i noticed great resistance. so with a mallot i slightly pounded out the dizzy. with the dizzy out you could see the metal pin that's supposed to be in the dizzy. it pushed past the metal ring that was meant to (i think) prevent such a thing from happening. so i hammered that pin back in. after that i tried to turn the dizzy but it was pretty hard to turn. i opened up the dizzy and removed the plastic protect housing under the dizzy cap and it turned good.

that's the problem....just need to check if i need a new dizzy before i try starting my rebuilt motor with this dizzy.

before all of this i was forced to drive the car home (didn't get there) as it was far. (retainer broke in half) and also my friend (who "thinks" he knows about engines) tried very stubbornly to start my car after it died at the light. (some people just don't understand the words "don't f*ck with it, i checked it already")

the helms service manual has flowcharts for testing every electricl system on the car. i suggest you pick one up. helminc.com

i got one. but the thing is the motor is out of the bay. i wanna see if there is a way to just test the dizzy by itself. in the helms you have to check all these wires and it's the wires from under the dash and harness. which in my case is useless cause nothing is hooked up.

Back