DIY- Catchcan and Induction Box Writeup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
Well, after doing my minime swap, I fabbed up a stupid little catch-can'ish sort of thing with a medicine bottle and some silicone hose. It worked - sort of, but didn't bypass the crankcase vent that went into the intake manifold. Since the old IM had a good amount of sludge in it - a full-blown bypass was needed.

I looked very seriously into buying a catchcan from Carbing, Greddy or OBX - but decided they were a huge amount of money and were not worth my time. So I went about making my own.

Here we have;

A blank junction box (waterproof) from Home Depot ($7)
Nylon NPT fittings ($1.45 each)
5ft of reinforced plastic tubing ($1.69 a foot)
4 1" dia hose clamps ($.79 each)

The total cost was somewhere around $20.

med_gallery_34733_413_715862.jpg

I attached the first hose to the PCV fitting on the intake manifold that come directly from the crankcase vent.
med_gallery_34733_413_735745.jpg

Afterwards, I routed the second hose from the valve cover breather, secured it with hose clamps.
med_gallery_34733_413_79092.jpg

First fitting mounted on the cover of the box (I used epoxy to secure then permanently, along with a rubber mallet)
med_gallery_34733_413_105557.jpg

The finished can - lid not secured yet.
med_gallery_34733_413_551379.jpg

Finished product - mounted on the car. I used SS hardware to mount it along with wingnuts for easy removal. I filled the can with steel wool, but paper towels and cottonballs also work.
med_gallery_34733_413_947710.jpg

Who needs Greddy anyways?

As for the induction box, I decided my old setup was drawing in too much hot air from the engine bay and it really didn't give me much throttle response. Using my old intake tube, some stainless hardware, a slightly used foam prefilter from my mom's SE-R, my old airbox and some clamps I fabbed up this.

med_gallery_34733_413_881567.jpg

Notice the screen poking out (prior to trimming). I used it to keep the pre-filter seated in the box. I was tempted to run without a filter, but being that it was a direct path from the front of my car to the engine I wanted to keep it somewhat clean. I suppose one could run it with just the screen, as most dirt won't make it into the intake tube - but I used the foam as a precaution in the winter months.

Pic of the induction tube -

med_gallery_34733_413_243149.jpg

Some may notice the altered Celeripower strut bar. I stripped off the anodizing on the bar and polished it. I added a clearcoat to protect it.

ummm, do you have any type of vacumm pulling on the catch box? If not you should ass it because with it just sitting there with no pull from a vacuum source it's not really doing anything. other than that looks good. What you should do is inside the box add tue to the bottom of both of those fitting to go down a few inches, Then take the nipple on the IM and run a like to the box but don't extend it, This will prevent it from sucking anything up if the flow in lines and lower then the vacuum. And for extra saftly you can put a check valve in the line from the IM to the box. Now you will be drawing air though the system like it should be. Other wise your PVC is always going ot be closed it and will not release the presure.

Yeah, I'm gonna be pulling vacuum off the IM.

I just posted the pics now, because I ran out of hose and needed to get more. :mrgreen:

Edit:

Got back from the local hardware store, and they didn't have reinforced tubing, so I'm making due with hi-temp plastic.

med_gallery_34733_413_191824.jpg

DONE.

No idea, but I assume it will be just as effective as any other catch can on the market. My old ghetto-can actually managed to catch a negligable amount of oil over the 2 months I've had the new head on the car.

I think it might really come into it's own this summer when I go turbo.

pcv valves run on vacuum. when you boost, there is no vacuum.... so the pcv system stops working properly, so you need a catch can to catch the oil vapors from re-circulating, causing detonation.

i understand that part but no boost! so whats the point then?

and you are talking about it needing vacume for the catch can, but under boost there is no vacume?

so how does it help?

Thanks B, I sat around and looked at tons of setups and nothing was the same. It's an easy fix for me though, Just have to undo some hoses - and BAM - PCV system.

When you boosted you have two options, one run another line with a slash cut in the pre-turbo intake (when boosted you should be sucking in enough air to create good vacuum on the catach can while the PCV is shut off. Or you can put the slash cut in the exhaust and get the same affect. Personally right now i'm just running a catch can between the valve cover breather and the pre-turbo intake. My PCV is stock setup on my LS, I figure it's fine because i'm never in boost longer then 20seconds at a time, and over on civicland this guy has 2 500+whp civics runnning a stock PCV. But i do plan on hooking up a catchcan, Or punching the holes out of the back of the block and doing the endyn kit.

yeah but it's not straight, figure 5-7 sec in first then shift, whene you shift the vacuum kciks so hard it will suck enough in that split second to clear the case. I don't fucking know, but i haven't had a problem yet so i'm hoping it will all be good. Rememebr though my LS is also fully built block and head so i can take the extra stress.

damn my mirage clears 1st in alot shorter than 7 seconds.

Back