do i need retainers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erebunicrx

my name is Dale
if i upgrade my cams do i need to buy retainers too? this will be 404's in a ls.

I have the 403's for my LS and I just went with the springs and retainers combo set, let me put it to you this way BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

i hope you are upping the compression. the stock ls compression will never utilize those 404's potential.

get some JDM p30 pistons if you can.

The only thing you gain from ti retainers is the light weight. They do not need to be replaced, but are good insurance. depending on the spring rates you are using, you should be just fine. And like b said, you'll need to up the CR with some pr3 pistons or something, beacause stock compression on an ls is like 9.6 to 1.

untill winter could i just mill the head to get the comp that i need? i just sold my p30's thinking i was going to go turbo.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Aug 9 2004, 07:21 PM
just bought the set. do you like the 403's or would you like the 404's.
[post=374590]Quoted post[/post]​

I have not installed them yet so I am not sure I should be getting them installed within a month.

B - Do I need to up my compression to see performance from my Crower 403's they are a stage 2 cam but I am sure you knew that.

i know you need to up the comp. bill used the p30's in the allmotor monster article.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Aug 10 2004, 03:05 PM
untill winter could i just mill the head to get the comp that i need? i just sold my p30's thinking i was going to go turbo.
[post=374859]Quoted post[/post]​

milling sucks. once you do it, you're done.

jdm p30s with a 404 and a milled head have a very good chance of hitting the valves on the piston tops.

more so, the .2 points that millign will give you isn't shit. 9.6-9.8 is still no where near 11:1.

Originally posted by integraslut78+Aug 10 2004, 04:07 PM-->
erebunicrx
@Aug 9 2004, 07:21 PM
just bought the set. do you like the 403's or would you like the 404's.
[post=374590]Quoted post[/post]​

I have not installed them yet so I am not sure I should be getting them installed within a month.

B - Do I need to up my compression to see performance from my Crower 403's they are a stage 2 cam but I am sure you knew that.
[post=374877]Quoted post[/post]​

i would... but again, nothing is necessary... you just won't see the full potential.

cams and compression need to be matched perfect to get the best results.

Back