do i suck as a mechanic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blink1_8_2dude

ok i just turned 18 years old and i put a b18c into my integra all by myself with no help from anyone just me and everything was going good the car was running great for like 3 months now everything is breaking im just getting very discouraged with the whole thing and am thinking about getting out of tunning hondas although i love them. It just seems that ive messed my car up and im not any good at fixing or working on cars, also i just lost 1200 bucks for a turbo kit off of ebay and im just so friking flustrated with everything im thinking about scrapping my teg and getting out all together, and getting some crappy auto slow piece of shit!!!!! so anywway what do yall think i should do?

Don't get discouraged man, shit happens. Why did you lose $1200 on ebay? File a fraud report, you will get justice!

ive talked to the district attorney about the matter but they are just dragging thier feet and taking forever they are trying to trck the guy through ebay info and the computers he was using and from my e-mail records

anything you do in life is going to have its low points.

Originally posted by blink1_8_2dude@Nov 11 2003, 01:36 PM
ok i just turned 18 years old and i put a b18c into my integra all by myself with no help from anyone just me and everything was going good the car was running great for like 3 months now everything is breaking im just getting very discouraged with the whole thing and am thinking about getting out of tunning hondas although i love them. It just seems that ive messed my car up and im not any good at fixing or working on cars, also i just lost 1200 bucks for a turbo kit off of ebay and im just so friking flustrated with everything im thinking about scrapping my teg and getting out all together, and getting some crappy auto slow piece of shit!!!!! so anywway what do yall think i should do?

Life is hard, I know that as well. I can easily relate to you man, because I Am just starting off as a mechanic at school - learning the basics. The book work is a bitch and I bombed the midterm and shit.
I could say that its becvause we mostly work on domestics and not imports, but things are averaged the same (motor and auto functions), just that the import scene is a lot better and more fun to work on.
I would reccomend you not give up - I can relate myself with you, only I just been through a lot of stupid hard times. I am amazed I havent gived up yet- guess my love of street racing helps me out.

-GomezKun :ph34r:

No, engine swapping is about as tough as it gets. Combine that with tuning your car, and you WILL have problems. Don't want to deal with it? Buy a performance car off the showroom floor with an extended factory warranty.

The whole Ebay thing has nothing to do with your mechanic skills. Just means you're a bad business man. :)

I think probobly the hardest thing to do as a mechanic is build a performance based engine that last a long time and makes good numbers. But an engine swap is a good start :lol:

To answer the question of the topic.

do i suck as a mechanic?

Yes you do. That is the simple answer, you a such a dumbass for having problems because you did an engine swap yourself. J/K, you are going to have problems, with any car, especially if you swap an engine into it, just hang in there, and it should all work out.

:werd: I hate my car, everything breaks here and there, so yeah its getting old real fast. But when I swap around christmas, it can't get worse, it can only get better.

Just think though, when you fix everything, you're accomplishing something. YOu did it, not someone else.

Well, cheer up dude......

I was never really a mechanic until.....hmmmmmm.....I grew up a mechanic...

It it hard for some to understand machanics, and the fine art of wrench turning...but if you did that good at that age...just think what you could be doing later in life......it's called a learning experiance...

granted...I don't know if you have plans on becomeing a doctor, a pilot, or even a mortician...but if you wish to stick to wrench turning...then find out what you did wrong, and go from there.

I grew up literally in a machine shop...I was stripping engines down to the bare parts when I was around 5-7 years old, put my first engine back together by myself around 10 years old, built my own personal engine for my Jeep at 16, swapped it in and had my first monster......then I joined the Air Force...and became a Crew Chief on F-15's when I was 18...did that a few years, and then dropped all machanics for a few years, then once I wanted to...I got back into it, went to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, got MY A&P licence....then got a job swapping more engines and building engines on planes....I did more Aircraft engines and swaps than you can think about....but the best thing is to build an engine, a TSIO-540J2BD engine for a twin engine plane, a piper cheiftain, and watch that turbo engine fly up to it's next engine rebuild which is about 3000 flight hours, and then rebuild it again....been there, done that...and the plane flew daily twice to the Bahamas and all over Florida, with 8-10 people onboard....and that made me proud...but the stress levels are there....it not pretty going home with a few bolts in your pockets, and you cant remember where they came from.

When you educate yourself...your OK, but if you go to an actual trade school, then your opening yourself to a whole new world. I keep trying to tell you guys to get involved with cars, because you can pick up common problems that you can easily fix yourself, and save all kinds of money....instead of taking the car to rip-off joe blow mechanic and having him rape you with no lube. But I will give you a hint...aircraft engines are a lot easier to work on than cars....and they swap in less than a few hours....and you don't have to fab up anything except baffles for aircooling...once in a while.....hell, I still work on Aircraft....and enjoy it every day......but now I just cut carbon fiber, kevlar, boron, and other composite materials for helicopters with a huge CNC machine....and I make more too...hehe

yeah im in school right now i am in pre-engineering, my dream is to design motors for cars i am really good at math and am doing well im pulling all As and Bs. But im just so frustrated with my car and it feels like im never goin to get ouyt of school, and i just feel like quiting. But i know that if i really want to design motors then i have to graduate with an engineering degree

I know how you feel .... until a little while ago everything i fixed worked well for a bit and then went to hell ... i was getting really discouraged .... i love taking things apart and knowing how they work .... if you know how it works then you know why it's broken ... what is getting me through it is the fact that i'm just starting to play with cars and fixing things in general and have limited tools at my disposal. Dude if you're enthusiastic about what you're doing and you're willing to learn then it will only get better ................ I hope!!! :unsure:

Originally posted by jdm_cracker@Nov 11 2003, 07:26 PM
Dude if you're enthusiastic about what you're doing and you're willing to learn then it will only get better

:ditto: :concur:

Dude I'm sixteen, almost finished puttin the ls in and had a bitch of a time on the rear mount, now I have a fucked up idle, and the wheels aren't turning. But I'm not gonna stop till that fucker rolls out of my driveway on its own power. Shit I didn't start my project not to finish it. And when something goes wrong I'll fix it, If it calls for replacin the part or just puttin in a new gasket. Don't give up, I don't give up, in the end..when it's runnin right.. you can pat urself on the back and tell everyone you did it.

hell, if its any condolences to you...I just got a monster on the road last week, and I already blew out the clutch in it, so now I got to pull it all apart again, and install another one...just to burn it out ASAP, and hope to kill a lot of tires doing it.

Back