DoD or TSA?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This is long so if you want cliffnotes at the bottom.

Im asking for any experience one may have working for either one of these oh so wonderful :laugh: government branches.

As of right now I'm working with General Dynamics(dod gov't contractors) doing this whole Pentagon renovation thing. Basically my job is easy as hell, these gov't employees are so lazy that they hire contracts to take apart their computers and move them to a different location in the Pentagon and set up again. I'm talking as simple as unplug the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker etc... bag the items, tag it and wait for it to be moved to be set right back up again. I love my job and it pays extremely well, best part is as a 'Pentagon regulation" thingy stuff cannot be moved in the hallways intill 5 o'clock or later. So my work day is come in at 8 disassemble everything, bag and tag that takes till about 12 - 1 oclock then chill from 1 - 5 oclock at the pentagon mall and be paid for it, and then move back in and put everything back together. But recently I was offered a position as a TSA officer at Dulles Internation Airport and I dont know weather I should quit and go work for TSA. My problem is that as a contractor for DoD if we lose the bid for the contract to someone else its over for the entire year, so the job isnt so stable, but the pay is high. But if I move to go work with TSA I take a major pay cut in exchange for job stability and room for growth. So I dont really know what to do, has or is anyone worked with TSA or airport US Customs before? that can tell me how its like.

:cliffs:

- I work for General Dynamics(dod gov't contractors)
- I got offered a postion as a TSA officer at Dulles Internation Airport
- Working for GD is great pay with no stability(losing on a contract)
- TSA offers lower pay with job stability
- I dont know what the hell to do and wanted to know if anyone has experience working for TSA or US Custom officers at airports or knows anything at all.

Edit: I also have no Idea how long this "Pentagon Renovation Project" will last for, so thats of concern too.

Oh yeah sorry, the pay cut is a substantial amount of money, but Im sure ill be able to live on it. Right now with the DoD I make 38k-40k a year before taxes and TSA is offering only 28k starting with opportunity to move up the ladder. But I also forgot to mention that I want to go back to school and with the pay cut I may not be able to afford it. I want to go back to school for a degree but Im still deciding on what :confused: I have it down to either IT or a Business management major. Anyone have any experiance with either field? Im so confused right now I dont even know what I want to do with my life :cry: I hate this feeling that I'll make a wrong choice, end up miserable and it'd be to late to turn back and change it...

28k to work in washington DC????? holy fuck no. that's like mimimum wage there.

No brainer - Work at the Pentagon for General Dynamics.

TSA Officers are McDonald's employees with pepper spray. They are widely regarded as low-paid worse-then-rent-a-cops and are a laughing stock in their field.

I say keep your current employer.

If your going into business school I only recommend three degrees (Accounting/Finance/ISM)

A major in General Business Management at the undergraduate level is BS and you will find work behind the desk at Hertz starting at 28k.

I started out of college with a management and marketing degree only to find crap jobs and crap companies to work for. The bread and butter with with pedigree MBA's (usually top 50 schools). But to get into thos programs you will need anywhere from 3-7 years of POST undergraduate work experience.

Finance jobs are tough to find (the industry will work you to death 10-12 hour days) but bonuses are rewarding.

Acconting jobs pay good salaries and the industry is dying for more cpa's.

If you have more questions email me privately...

Quoted post[/post]]
I say keep your current employer.

If your going into business school I only recommend three degrees (Accounting/Finance/ISM)

A major in General Business Management at the undergraduate level is BS and you will find work behind the desk at Hertz starting at 28k.

I started out of college with a management and marketing degree only to find crap jobs and crap companies to work for. The bread and butter with with pedigree MBA's (usually top 50 schools). But to get into thos programs you will need anywhere from 3-7 years of POST undergraduate work experience.

Finance jobs are tough to find (the industry will work you to death 10-12 hour days) but bonuses are rewarding.

Acconting jobs pay good salaries and the industry is dying for more cpa's.

If you have more questions email me privately...

i'm in the finance industry to. but i live near seattle washington, and 54% of the people here have a bachelors degree. tsa does a lot more than security. they check baggage and work the metal detectors and all that shit. if you get flight benefits at tsa i would say go there. but as far as career wise, stay in d.c. more opportunity.

The GD rep we had at lejeune was making some pretty good money. He sat at a desk all day and played on the internet

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
28k to work in washington DC????? holy fuck no. that's like mimimum wage there.

The TSA job is at the Dulles Internation Airport in sterling, where I work now is at the Pentagon in Washington, DC.

get a job with the TSA then transfer as soon as you can to MSP or VSP or maybe try for Capital police.

20 year retirent for maryland, both county and state. Capital police is a bunch of bullshit to deal with but the money is great and retirment is even better.

p.s state polilce start out around 40K and county police around 38K

Back