Does anyone know ...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

will a TH400 bolt up to a Cadillac BB? my roomie has a mid 70's Deville that he just rebuilt the 472 in, and needs a tranny. i got a TH400 in my '71 pickup that i dont need. I have been told that the Cadillac and pontiac motor were somewhat different from the regular GM BB's. does anyone know?

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 17 2005, 12:13 PM
Yup, it's different.
[post=541242]Quoted post[/post]​

alright well i looked at some Caddy forums and they talk about using the TH400 on a 472, so you know if there is like a bell housing adapter or something that would be needed? i could always go look under the car, but putting a fuckin 70 something Deville on jack stands just for that is too much for my lazy ass right now :)

Removing this engine is about as difficult as heart surgery.

Whole thing comes out. You've got better luck stripping the fenders and front end, then sliding it out.

-> Steve

Originally posted by senate_9427+Aug 17 2005, 11:19 AM-->
Battle Pope
@Aug 17 2005, 12:13 PM
Yup, it's different.
[post=541242]Quoted post[/post]​

alright well i looked at some Caddy forums and they talk about using the TH400 on a 472, so you know if there is like a bell housing adapter or something that would be needed? i could always go look under the car, but putting a fuckin 70 something Deville on jack stands just for that is too much for my lazy ass right now :)
[post=541306]Quoted post[/post]​

The transmission itself is likely the same, save for gear ratios. Shit, they had TH400s in some jaguars. The bellhousings are all different though.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 17 2005, 03:04 PM
Removing this engine is about as difficult as heart surgery.

Whole thing comes out. You've got better luck stripping the fenders and front end, then sliding it out.

-> Steve
[post=541363]Quoted post[/post]​

the motor has already been removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled, but i guess he needs a tranny. im not sure whats wrong with the one already in there, but he wants a new one

Does he have the caddy bellhousing?

Pull it out and try to install the caddy bellhousing on the TH400. If it came with a TH400 originally then it should work.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 18 2005, 01:48 PM
This is one of those funky FWD Caddies, right ?

-> Steve
[post=541957]Quoted post[/post]​

no. its like a 30 foot long Deville convertible

land yacht y0

Just find out if it's a TH400 already. If it does, the bellhousing from the caddy will fit the other trans.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 18 2005, 02:36 PM
land yacht y0

Just find out if it's a TH400 already. If it does, the bellhousing from the caddy will fit the other trans.
[post=541982]Quoted post[/post]​

yea ill check it out today maybe. and yea its a boat, but it sure as hell is a nice cruisin' car

Back