does this look repairable?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

this guy is selling this car for $500 and I have about $800. Does this look like I can repair this with that amount of money? The engine doesnt matter cause when I do my engine swap on my sol the engine will go in there. I was thinking just ebay it up and use as a daily driver

autotrader civic here

my car looked worse and i still managed to fix it..
u can get a new radiator core support off of ebay for like 85 bucks and a certifit hood for like 65 . 500 seems like a good deal to me.

Frame damage is a bitch--if the frame is fucked in any way, I wouldn't buy it. I have ridden in a lot a cars with damages frames, and no matter how much time was spent on it, it didnt drive the same.

It doesnt look too bad to me but i would try to see if the frame is bent.

i'll sell you my hood if you buy it :)

s40a8fe4ae30e5.jpg

on top of a rad support and hood, looks like youll need some headlights. plus, you dont know what the other fender looks like. i wouldnt buy ANY car with damage.

Check the hood and fender gaps, look for cracked caulk or chipped paint around the rails. If it does have frame damage it can be expensive, the shop i work at charges $68 an hour for structural work and at minimum we charge for 1.5 hours for setup & measuring.

I did worse in my old civic.

The front passenger side tail light was wrapped around my intake. lol.

For parts it only cost me 280 and 100 for paint, and my friend who owns a frame straightener put it all together for 850 in the end including everything besides body paint. When it was done, the gaps were perfect, and it drove fine.

It's code to paint structual pieces if I understand, because I only had my rad support painted.

If it doesn't bother you about having a hit car, then go for it.

I wouldn't though because its a effing dx and is auto.

its a total loss. The owner retained salv and wants to pawn the car off on you for $500. Take it and part it out and make back your $500 + quite a bit more.

DO NOT take it and try to repair it unless you are a qualified body man. You'll be very sorry when you a: try to buy a tag b: rear end someone c: try to keep tires on the front

all you need is a front bumper, rad support and a bumper support and it looks like it will be ok. the damage doesnt appear to go back to where the frame is.

mine looked a lot worse than that when i picked it up.... but ive also spent 5k and it doesnt run yet ;)

If you could look at the car in person, and determine value, I'd think about it.

Like everyone else said, unibody damage would not be good. If there is a salvage title, then the value would drop dramatically. It'd be a great parts car, or a cheap daily cruiser, but fixing it for money would probably not work out. Paint and parts would definitely cost more than $300.

My .02 :)

light front end damage my ass. looks like he hit someone rather hard to me. go take a look at the car and offer him $300 no matter what seeing that the ad does say $500 obo.

Originally posted by 98integrals@May 19 2004, 11:20 PM
all you need is a front bumper, rad support and a bumper support

Ummm.... headlights???

I don't think you could fix it for $300 even with crappy aftermarket parts. And plus, aftermarket parts don't always fit quite right & you'll end up with gaps, etc.

And like everyone else has said... if there's any frame damage, it's very expensive to fix & the car will never be the same. I definitely wouldn't buy it sight (or estimate) unseen.

im not really gonna go for looks as I have my sol! But this is gonna be the econobox that it is meant to be with the lowest insurance I can get! Gaps so what, paint dont need it, shitty aftermarket parts was the plan.

IT'S A SALVAGE CAR...YOU CANNOT BUY A TAG FOR IT WITHOUT REPAIRING IT TO THE SATISFACTION OF A STATE D.O.T. INSPECTOR

DO NOT BUY IT THINKING YOU CAN DRIVE IT

do you still have any questions?

Back