Dohc Vtec Or Sohc Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MXDesa

Im looking at two types of VTEC's. SOHC AND DOHC. I have someone willing to sell a SOHC VTEC for $500. Complete except engine harness. Is it worth building up a single cam vtec? (Way cheaper, nice power too) Or should i just go for the DOHC VTEC? Consider Weight issues (I have a 92 Hatch DX) With a single cam vtec i could create a real nice sleaper. I could use the money i save by going with SOHC and build up internals. Let me know what you guys think i should go with?! :rolleyes:

Depends on what you want, DOHC B series engine are capable of 500 hp, but it very feww actually reach that. A D16z6/D16y8 can get 160 whp and still be reliable. If you are looking for mad power, get a DOHC, if not, spend 1500 and get a decent D series.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 26 2003, 01:49 AM
DOHC
you want a sleeper dont pop the hood

:werd: :withstupid: You'll have to do less to the DOHC,to acheive a faster car.

If you were going turbo you could get a good amount of power out of the Sohc, I think you would have to do a cost analysis on both situations, Write a list of all costs and estimated hp levels and then figure bang for the buck. good luck

Milan

Originally posted by JDMilan@May 26 2003, 02:06 PM
If you were going turbo you could get a good amount of power out of the Sohc, I think you would have to do a cost analysis on both situations, Write a list of all costs and estimated hp levels and then figure bang for the buck. good luck

Milan

Thats the thing, i have a friend that spent a moderate amount of money on his SOHC Vtec and runs mid 13's. He must of spent roughly 2000 on the engine. A B16 swap would run about 2000 and the SOHC will run me 500. Put that into the SOHC and a have a good runner right there. :eek:)

Back