1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dohc zc valves loud!!!!

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by pappaj, Jun 14, 2009.

1. pappaj

pappaj New Member

I just put this zc into a friends car. When I did the head gasket I removed cams to pull the head and I dropped the rockers out of the head. I noticed they were numbered so I put them in according to cylinder number, then noticed some numbers had more then others like there was more than 4 with number 4 on it and less than 4 with numer 2 on it. I have the motor in and running and the valves are extremely loud. I found a procedure to set them on thezcr.com done by jlicrx. I did that then double checked, but they were still really noisy. I went through procedure again .005" intake and .006" exhaust double checked. They are still very noisy, also when you let of the gas after I rev it a little the rpms drop really fast and it feels like it wants to stall but it will come back quick and idle fine. Somthing is messed up and I am not sure. Please help.

2. 78civic

78civic Junior Member

I've had the rocker shafts wear so badly (from not using a quality oil or not changing it) that no matter how many times you would adjust them they clacked.
    By any chance, did you do a compression check?
    Were the followers really grooved?
    Cam lobes?
    Valve tips pitted/rounded?
    ALL plugs out, attach gauge hose, spin it over with the throttle fully open for a good 10 sec. See gauge..

Or it could just be a split/misplaced vacume line
    Just my .02

E

3. DBCustoms

DBCustoms New Member

are you adjusting the valves on the right stroke with them fully closed?

4. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

are you checking between the top of the rocker and the camshaft lobe and not the rocker and the valve?

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted