Doom 3?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

Have it/played it/seen it? I was gonna buy it today, just fishing for some opinions.

Meh. Another first-person shooter. It looks cool, but I'm sure it'll be fun to play for about 10 minutes, until it starts looking like all the other first-person shooters out there.

It's actually a remake of the first Doom, NOT a new game--just revamped, a lot of people don't realize that. I might buy it if the price goes down--it comes out in October for Xbox only.

Consoles are teh blow for FPS games. KB/Mouse any day! But yeah I got paid today, so I think I'm gonna buy it. My PC is more than capable of playing it, I might even get good framerates!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 9 2004, 05:49 PM
pc games are for nerds
[post=374488]Quoted post[/post]​

You're an HTML nazi :)

Everyone is a nerd in one way or another....and as for FPS, it depends really .I cannot get used to Halo on PC, I usually just LAN it, my comp can play it just fine, but, I guess after playing it for 3 years on Xbox, you get used to it.

Well I just got home. bought it on the way. Gonna install it now!

Wheeee

Bought it the day after it came out...

not impressed with the game. Yeah the graphics are sweet but I guess it brought nothing new to the table. Same old shitty plot and pointless running around looking for clearance cards to open the doors.

Lemme know how it is.. I loved it the first & second one..I'm most likely just wait til it comes on to Xbox so I can burn it..

Well I installed and played it for a while... it's good overall. I don't know how anyone would do it without a mouse to aim. :p The game is really pretty much driven almost exclusively by the atmosphere and sound... if you like to scare yourself, have fun. :D

You're not really buying the game for the game itself (at least I'm not), you're buying it for the mods that will be released later. Look at what people did with good old half-life... They made Day of Defeat, Counterstrike, Half Life Rally (freaking rally game on the half life engine!), and my personal favorite, Natural Selection. :) And that's just off the top of my head. There are tons more games based on the engine... Forget the games themselves, wait a year or so and watch what incredible genre-changing games come out on the Doom 3 and Half Life 2 engines.

not a game player at all.. but when i get frustrated the only game i play is black hawk down lol shoilder shoot em up game.. kinda lame but i hate playing games

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the mods. I have a feeling that a lot of modders will "warm up" with Doom3 and then go balls-out when HL2 releases. From what I've seen, HL2 seems to have a more interactive game engine, which could be good or bad.

Either way, from what I've played, it seems to be a really enjoyable game. Definitely in keeping with the overall Doom style of doing things. This is one game that I would seriously consider picking up a 5.1 or better surround speaker system for - the audio is that good and extremely integral to the atmosphere. It doesn't help that a lot of times you end up being hit simply because you're using your flashlight to actually SEE things, then you get jumped and have to switch back to a gun :p

It's been a long time since I played a good sci-fi style FPS... worth 53 dollars? that remains to be seen.

dude I almost shit my pants when I saw what counter-strike is going to look like on the HL2 engine. There is a video of it you can download. It was fuckin amazing.

Back