Doubts About Hondata?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdehnel

A friend of mine referred me to a shop that tunes Hondata systems. I just got off the phone with the owner and he has recently stopped selling and tuning Hondata ECUs. His reasons:

"They're pieces of crap."
"The hardware, the software, it's all low quality."
"I went to the training session and it was held on an Acura Legend."
"There's always a problem."
"I went to the facility and it's only like a 500 sq ft. building."
etc...etc...

Previously, I was convinced that Hondata is the way to go. Well, now I'm having a few doubts. The guy knows what he's doing as far as tuning cars goes, but he says he will only do AEM and Accel DFI systems from now on because of the low quality of Hondata systems.

Does anyone here have a Hondata system, or plan to in the future? I'm pretty sure Jeffie7(sp?) does, anyone else?
Does anyone have any experience with them? Is this guy right at all or has he just had a bad experience?

Did he have any actual evidence to back these claims?

This sounds like an isolated incident to me, with how many folks are running Hondatas. You would think that we would hear about it if they were crap. Are you sure the guy isn't just terminally stupid and doesn't know how to operate the Honda properly?

My local shop claimed that Hondatas are crap, but they also claimed that the LS tranny is the best B series tranny for NA. :)

Actually, he invested in all the equipment and tuned a few systems.

But I'm pretty sure he either didn't know how to use it, or he just had a bad experience. Also, I don't think he's done anything with the s100 or s200s, just the staged models.

I had counted on this being the place where I could get my future Hondata tuned, but now obviously it's not gonna work. Anyone know of any tri-state area shops or people that are really good at Hondata tuning?

Originally posted by tdehnel@May 5 2003, 06:01 PM
But I'm pretty sure he either didn't know how to use it, or he just had a bad experience. Also, I don't think he's done anything with the s100 or s200s, just the staged models.

When the Hondata stuff first came out, me and the guys at Intercrew thought it was mostly junk... now it's what he prefers for tuning. The documentation and software at the very beginning wasn't all that great- now the system is more complete and easier to use. Your guy probably had a bad experience at the beginning, just like I did.

Originally posted by tdehnel@May 5 2003, 06:01 PM
Actually, he invested in all the equipment and tuned a few systems.

I had counted on this being the place where I could get my future Hondata tuned, but now obviously it's not gonna work. Anyone know of any tri-state area shops or people that are really good at Hondata tuning?

fkjfdsthedropshop in NH

sounds like a case of mild retardation.
an acura legend is still made by honda, therefore it will require the same style of tuning as any other car... when it comes to a/f and ignition timing.. this guy sounds like an idiot.

either way.. i've tried it, tested it, tuned it and won't change.

Back