DPFI to MPFI Wiring HELP!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

peanut

While fumbling with the distributor and ecu harness wiring. I noticed some of the wirings on the MPFI ecu and distributor utilises shielded two conductor cable. Meaning there are 2 normal PVC insulated wiring encased in outer PVC insulation and inner surround bare cross wiring.

The special cablings are used

@ Crank Angle Sensor (B10 & B12)
@ Cylinder Posn Sensor (C1 & C2)
@ TDC Sensor (C3-C4)

Most DPFI to MPFI swap sites do not advocate the usage of shielded cable. I understand the usage of these cables is to cut down on electronic noise or interference due to the high frequency generated over the extended length of wiring. Are they really necessary? Most of u guys did your swap with normal wiring, encountered any problems?

I hate surprises but I have some microphone wiring handy for this type of contingencies. It is two conductor and shielded as well.

If needed, do you need to ground the shielding as well?

Thanks.

i have also had this concern, however, have done several DPFI to MPFI wiring swaps ignoring this (since i didn't have shielded wire) and just utilizing regular wires and haven't had a problem - there is another location where shielded wire is used, O2 sensor @ C16 - the Honda wiring diagrams indicate that all of these shields are in fact grounded with brn/blk & blk/red wires to ECU pins A16 & A18

Back