drivers side kick panel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
someone told me about a blue box behind the drivers side kick panel on hondas that go bad and cause a no start issue, i was just wondering what this "blue box" is...

some sort of relay i assume

I never seen a "blue box" in the driver kick panel area. They could be talking about your Main Relay but that's not blue, or at least the ones i've seen aren't.

lol, have you seen any box in the drivers side kick panel area?

i have had many hondas apart and don't remember anything like this either...

whats the symptoms for a main relay failure?

turn the key on and nothing happens. it's often intermittent at the beginning and progressively takes more and more key turns to start the car before it eventually completely fails.

ah, i thank you much
i don't think its the main relay...

i looked in the helms and according to that, the TCM(CVT) is behind the drivers sid kick panel...
tcm = transmission control module and the notes say CVT

wtf is cvt?
i'm guessing constant velocity transmission...?
would this mean a 5 speed?

ok.... cvt = continuously variable transmission
but my sisters car is a 5 speed, so this box is more than likely not the cause of the no start...
damn it

97 civic lx or dx junker

had a CEL for TDC sensor

autozone read the code as a misfire, sold my sister plugs and wires and cap...

so she changed those and then no start...
did the wires one at a time etc etc...
so then i told her she should have just gotten a dist. cause that houses the TDC sensor and they start to go bad then just die

so changed the dist. and still no start
it sputters a bit like it wants to start but nothing...

i got the firing order just to double check again on the wires...

but when she was able to get it started after the tune up the CEL light was FLASHING, not on, not off, but flashing... not codes either, just flash flash flash, wtf?

the only time i have see the CEL flash is when i left the jumper clip hooked up and started my car... :blink:

i am thinking bad ecu maybe?
the kicker is i pulled wire #4 and its got spark...
doesn;t seem like a shit load of spark, but its there non the less...

you think it jumped timing?

we just did a timing belt about 4-6 months ago...

i think it was water pump, timing belt, and tensioner...

now that you mention it it did seem to be spinning a bit faster than normal, but i pulled the dist and saw the cam turning so i assumed it was ok...

if tdc is off, check your timing... grab a lite.
you mean a timing light?
can you check your ignition timing without the motor running?

oh, i thought it puttned around...

check the crank pulley against the cam gear. make sure the BTDC and Up arrow on the cam gear are legit. jumping 1 took on the cam gear can fuck your whole wolrd up.

ask E.

one of his adjustble cam gears got loose.. and after replacing the fuel pump and a bunch of other crap, did it turn out that the cam gear had loosend and moved.

cam is off- valves open at wrong time, no air fuel gets in, car doesn't start.

bam.

Flashing Check engine light when the car is running indicates a severe misfire. The ECU blinks the light when the misfire is severe enough to damage the catalytic convertor. Make sure the plug wires are in the right firing order.

Flashing Check engine light when the car is running indicates a severe misfire. The ECU blinks the light when the misfire is severe enough to damage the catalytic convertor. Make sure the plug wires are in the right firing order.
damn you;re good mang...

so i stopped by her house last night
wires were fucked up, but the car still won;t start
removed the fuel line from the fuel rail, seems to be getting lots of fuel...
whats the chances the "autolite" or whatever shit plugs she got would have gotten "fouled" from having the wires wrong?

should i just get ngk's to be on the safe side?
i didn;t have the tools to check the timing lastnight, might try that tonight...

thanks for all the help guys

def. go with ngk's, but that is probably not the problem. How about the ignition timing? Is your distributor off too much? I'd check that too. Usually to get it in the ball park, just loosen the distributor up and try rotating it a little bit while someone else is trying to start it. That's what I did when I forgot to mark it.

i've gone from fully advanced to fully retarded and everything inbetween

Any Update?? It is absolutely possible that the plugs could be at fault. From flooding the engine while the wires mismatched could have put in excessive fuel...

Any Update?? It is absolutely possible that the plugs could be at fault. From flooding the engine while the wires mismatched could have put in excessive fuel...

no update yet

i sent her out to get new ngk plugs, i;m hoping the severe misfire lead to fouled plugs...

but i;m guessing the misfire could have made it jump a tooth as well

ok, update...

went to my sisters house lastnight
checked the timing belt, seemed ok
checked to see if the rotor was pointing to #1 at TDC and that was good
checked the coil wires inside the dist and they seemed good...
replaced the bosch plugs with new ngk's

turned it over and over and over
nothing

pulled off the air filter, put some gas directly into the intake
turned it over, got some puttering etc
more gas, repeat again and again
and then finally she fired off...
kept it going and now it seems to run fine

now its got a surging idle, 1K to 2K after its warmed up
checked coolant and it was a bit low, topped it off, but it still surges...

i;m thinking possibly a bad TPS...
but no codes after 2 10-15 minute test drives...

or it could be the fast idle thermo valve...
gotta check that out too...

Back