Droping power steering and abs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Danabis

friend of mine just started a project. He has a 90 integra gs planning to do a swap in the future but the question i have is can he drop his power steering and get a rack out of a crx or something else? if so is it a bad idea? also can he drop that bulky abs moduel and maybe fab some lines and use something out of a crx if so it would save a lot of space around where his intake will be. His abs light is on and not working at the moment and from what i hear its pretty expensive to fix and he doesnt really care about abs. Any info would be a big help.

You can drop power steering without changing steering racks.

read this thread. It is called looping the Powersteering. Actually, the PS rack and pinions are a closer ratio then manuals.

HT thread

awesome thread now i just need to find out if its possible to drop abs and is it worth the effort

I know that it is possible, but I have no idea how to do it. All of your brake lines go to that so you would have to redo your brake lines. It will give you good practice at flaring brake lines.

No, It really isn't worth the whole abs system and computer can't way more than ten pounds. Also I believe the power steering in those is variable assist, which means the faeter you get going he power is taken by the power steering so tha may not even be worth it.

Originally posted by theman0521@Jan 11 2004, 11:49 PM
No, It really isn't worth the whole abs system and computer can't way more than ten pounds. Also I believe the power steering in those is variable assist, which means the faeter you get going he power is taken by the power steering so tha may not even be worth it.

your wrong on both of those. The computer, yes only ways like a lb, but the abs unit, plus the weight of the brake fluid in there weighs alot more then 10 lbs. It is quite heavy.

For the power steering, you free up about 3 hp through out the power band. Also, the feel of power steering blows. you dont feel the road at all, and you get like no feedback.

Welcome to the other 3 million who don't want to pay a grand to fix their ABS. Pull the fuse and relay out to stop the motor from cycling- if it still is. Your Modulator or Actuator are shot, not to mention that ABS reservoirs usually crack from underhood temps anyway. Don't bother trying to remove it, it's not worth it.

Back