Dropped crank

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Z6CRX

übber ɐɾuıu etarip
Im posting this up for my friend who was unfortunate enough for this to happen to him

"Hey guys, i was with my brother yesterday and we were test fitting my eagle rods after notching to make sure they were going to clear before the block goes out to get honed. Anyways, my dumbass was turning the motor over and didnt realize the crank was not being held down by anything. Anyways it fell off my motor,(which was on our stand) about a 3-3 1/2 foot drop and just landed flat, theres no visable damage to it or anything like that but will this cause any problems in the future? anything i should be worried about or am i just being paranoid, because this is my first turbo build and although i know there will be problems im trying to keep them to a minimum. Thanks!"

any suggestions/comments on what this may cause

Quoted post[/post]]
Im posting this up for my friend who was unfortunate enough for this to happen to him

"Hey guys, i was with my brother yesterday and we were test fitting my eagle rods after notching to make sure they were going to clear before the block goes out to get honed. Anyways, my dumbass was turning the motor over and didnt realize the crank was not being held down by anything. Anyways it fell off my motor,(which was on our stand) about a 3-3 1/2 foot drop and just landed flat, theres no visable damage to it or anything like that but will this cause any problems in the future? anything i should be worried about or am i just being paranoid, because this is my first turbo build and although i know there will be problems im trying to keep them to a minimum. Thanks!"

any suggestions/comments on what this may cause

I would start by placeing the upper bearing halves in the end journals of your block leave the center mains out. Be sure to lube everything well. Use a dial indicator on the the center main journals while turning the crank to see if anything is out of alignment. Go from there. Even if it checks out for true, You might want to have it Magnafluxed to see if it is cracked anywhere.

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah take it to a machine shop
Thanks :mrgreen: , I was thinking it might have warped it a bit with that kind of a drop but wanted a second opinion.
Being that it was his first turbo build, I want to make sure that this goes smoothly
:worthy:

:werd:

have it balanced...and you might be saved...its not a good thing for it to be dropped, but it might be salvagable.

Definitely take it to a machine shop. Chances are that if you dropped it and had any chance of bending the crankshaft, you would have cracked it- not bent it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Definitely take it to a machine shop. Chances are that if you dropped it and had any chance of bending the crankshaft, you would have cracked it- not bent it.
If at worse i can give him my old A6 crank, that hasnt been dropped :mrgreen:
:werd: People practically give those blocks away.

Nah, he's not that bad.

Take that crank to a machine shop!

dont send it to mike.....he.....uhhhh.........has an S2K. Send them to reiko...ill get a civic cmon...yall know you want me in the EF and EG boards too. :)

whats up with the EG...i know a kid that might take it off your hands if the body is in good shape :)

It'll just be a shell, but if you want it once it's stripped, I'll glady sell it to you.

Back