1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drum kits

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by BodyDroppedNikes, Mar 6, 2004.

1. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

lately ive been pondering about getting a simple 5-piece drum kit because i have always wanted to learn to play. i was wondering if anyone here plays and whats a decent kit to buy? i dont want something too expensive nor too cheap. im even pondering a used kit. anyways, how much would a decent 5-piece kit cost and how hard is it to play drums?? thanks all :)

2. mikesphat

mikesphat Senior Member

yea man go find a mom and pop style drum store... tama or yamaha has my vote... but if you just want a cheap learning set cb percussion is very affordable... good luck..

as far as how hard is it??? everything worth doing is a challenge right... i highly reccomend taking a few lessons(the mom and pop store might offer free ones with the purchase) i had a freind growing up who is a GOD on drumz...and he showed me the proper ways to learn beats... anyway i got most of my early practise playing on my knees and with my feet(yes you can learn rythym like this) but if you are serious youll be able to play a few beats within 6 months...

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

pearl drum kit with zildjian cymbals.... good stuff. :worthy:

4. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

how much am i looking at spending on a good used kit? i just want a simple 5-piece for starters as i think thats a good basic set-up

5. mikesphat

mikesphat Senior Member

5 bills will get a decent used set with a throne and maybe hi hats...

6. ilikepie

ilikepie Senior Member

Im with mirage.. named exactly what i play. i have a pearl export with zildjian symbols. personally i dont like buying symbol packs. i like to hear em first before i buy em. but my friend had a cb set and it wasnt too bad. they cheap too. and good cheap symbols are sabians. ive been playing for about 5 years now. it might take you awhile to learn stuff but lessons definatly help. have fun with it though

7. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

premier makes awesome drums...i've got a 5-piece artist birch, with Zildjian A-custom cymbals, and a Tama Iron Cobra double kick pedal. I love the tone i get out of the birch. It's stained wine red...i love it...i think i've got pics somewhere....

the iron cobra is the BEST pedal i've ever played on...i've had a dw 5000 and 7000, pearl, gibraltar, and i even toyed around with an axis for a bit...but the iron cobra rules all!

8. mikesphat

mikesphat Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. leonc

leonc Senior Member

My friend just bought a Mapex v series i think, maybe its an m series, anyways he got it for $1000 and i came with the 5 piece kit, 3 cymbal stands, a high hat stand, and ziljian ride, 2 zildjian crashes, zildjian high hat cymbals, and a cymbol carrying case. it was at a local shop but you could probally talk to someone in your town. the kit sounds extremely awesome. i play drums also but i have a really old crappy tama set.

10. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

I Was in the same boat as you and I think entry level wise I would go with the Pearl Export series

Yamaha does make some sweet drum kits but you wont find them for under 800 bucks

11. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

I don't know about that... maybe their drumkits but anything else is friggin high priced!

http://www.chucklevins.com/ is by far the best prices I've ever found it's a maryland shop and their prices are GREAT
    musicians friends has my keyboard for 2800 BEFORE shipping
    I paid $2714 for the keyboard with tax I also got with that a mixer nice keyboard stand 60 feet of cable a foot switch all for 100 bucks less then musiciansfriends plus the keyboard is like 60lbs so shipping would have been atlest 50-100 bucks

I've NEVER seen anything priced good on their site

12. ilikepie

ilikepie Senior Member

Yeah definatly go with musicain's friend or guitar center. they always have really cheap good stuff.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted