DUAL STAGE VTEC ENGAGEMENT???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

qtmac_mien

Has any1 heard of DUAL STAGE VTEC ENGAGEMENT?? Does it mean the vtec kiks in twice? is it good?

the 1996 jdm d15b has 3-stage vtec(i think edm has one but dont know for sure), which uses dual vtec solenoids so i guess its dual stage. it pretty much just adds vtec-e to the regular vtec system. i heard of them getting like 130hp and 50mpg out of this system, which is VERY good.

heres a pic of the system:
3stagemech.gif

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen@Sep 11 2004, 11:19 AM
Don't gsrs have the dual vtec with the butterflies?
[post=388939]Quoted post[/post]​

No, they have normal VTEC like any other DOHC VTEC car but in addition to that, they have a dual stage intake manifold.

does that mean if i was to get a Dual Stage Vtec do i need 2 vtec Solenoid? i saw a p72 obd1 and i was thinkin bout gettin it for my b16 sir2.

Originally posted by qtmac_mien@Sep 11 2004, 06:34 PM
does that mean if i was to get a Dual Stage Vtec do i need 2 vtec Solenoid? i saw a p72 obd1 and i was thinkin bout gettin it for my b16 sir2.
[post=389010]Quoted post[/post]​

the gsr does not have a dual vtec system. it have vtec. only kicks in once at 4400 rpms. but then at 5800 rpms the butterflies in the intake manifold will open up. allowing more airflow and more power. no getting a p72 ecu will not give you dual stage vtec. no you cant add another vtec solenoid for "MoRe VTizz4k". getting a p72 will do nothing for your b16, stick with the p30 ecu you have (or should have)

i saw on ebay that one of the p72 ecu has Dual stage vtec. thanks for all the helpful replies, ill stick with my p30

Originally posted by qtmac_mien@Sep 12 2004, 02:14 AM
i saw on ebay that one of the p72 ecu has Dual stage vtec. thanks for all the helpful replies, ill stick with my p30
[post=389086]Quoted post[/post]​

Another good example why Egay sucks.

so when you chip a p72( or use a vafc)and change the vtec engagement which part do u change the (first) one @4400 or the butterfly part?
only kicks in once at 4400 rpms. but then at 5800 rpms the butterflies in the intake manifold will open up. allowing more airflow and more power

Originally posted by PhyRe@Sep 19 2004, 01:26 PM
so when you chip a p72( or use a vafc)and change the vtec engagement which part do u change the (first) one @4400 or the butterfly part?
only kicks in once at 4400 rpms. but then at 5800 rpms the butterflies in the intake manifold will open up. allowing more airflow and more power

[post=392188]Quoted post[/post]​

VTEC is VTEC, the secondaries are a totally seperate, non related system. A VAFC changes the VTEC point, which is @ 4400 stock.

For what its worth though, you can also change the secondary point by chipping the ECU.

Back