Duc taking over Aprillia?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
MILAN (Reuters) - Italian motorcycle maker Ducati (DMH.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) offered to buy a majority stake in struggling rival Aprilia on Wednesday, the first interested group to declare itself formally.

Ducati did not say how much it had bid for the maker of Aprilia, Moto Guzzi and Laverda bikes.

Ducati's shares bumped lower on news it had made an offer but by 1530 GMT (11:30 EDT) they had recovered slightly to 1.15 euros, down 1.6 percent on the day.

Various groups have been linked to a possible bid for Aprilia, which last year made a net loss of 43.1 million euros and needed to secure a credit line in May in order to meet an interest payment on a 100 million euro bond.

Iconic scooter maker Piaggio said its board would meet on July 13 to decide whether to bid for Aprilia.

Earlier this year, Piaggio owner Roberto Colaninno said he would be interested in buying Aprilia but on condition that creditors, banks and workers agreed on a rescue plan.

Colaninno's IMMSI (IMSI.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) group is already working to drag Piaggio, the maker of Italy's famous Vespa scooter, to profit.

Canada's Bombardier (BBBd.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) has also been floated as a possible suitor for Aprilia.

Ducati said its bid was "based on our desire to create a big Italian two-wheel group" and that it would protect each brand's identity and production plants while sharing more technology and development costs.

"Together, these companies will have huge strength on foreign markets and important economies of scale in our sales and distribution networks and purchasing and administrative structures," Ducati Chief Executive Federico Minoli said.

Check out what might happen with the 450cc bike class =)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=mot...NEWS_OTHER-NEWS

for some reason, reading the title of the thread, i thoght you'd misspelled 'duct taping over aprillia'

:shrug2:

Oh really... :D looks good to me. I found what bike I want already... Aprilia 125rs. Pimp daddy beginner bike... :)

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 7 2004, 08:06 PM
Oh really... :D looks good to me. I found what bike I want already... Aprilia 125rs. Pimp daddy beginner bike... :)

I believe "could be wrong" the 125s are 2 stroke race bikes

hmmmm not too sure how i feel about this yet
i like ducati but im not sure if i am comfortable with them buying aprilia

and that 450 is badass

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 8 2004, 03:30 AM
The RS125 is based off of the RS50, which is a 50cc motorcycle, top speed of 80mph, but with full fairings and the "race look".

http://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/eng/modello.phtml?id=27

It IS a 2 stroke. Its self lubricating, and is sold as a street bike... :)

I would be a fun bike! however I do not reccommand a 2 stroke for a street bike. Inless of course, you've had experince rebuilding 2 stoke motors since it will need to be done fairly often.

Back in the day when my brother raced 2 stoke bikes he would rebuild the upper half of his motor every 2-3 weeks.

They make SHIT loads of power but IMO not worth it for the street

Sitting at 60mph for 15-20 mins at the same RPM on a 2 stoke would suck.

P.S it's self lubricated? I'm guessing they mean it has a contaner for oil and it mixes the gas/oil its self. Some 4wheeler/dirt bike ares like that it just helps on not having to mix gas but if you're out riding and you run out of oil... DOH

foto_mod_pg_347_1060014653.jpg

my choice=)

I would be a fun bike! however I do not reccommand a 2 stroke for a street bike. Inless of course, you've had experince rebuilding 2 stoke motors since it will need to be done fairly often.

I agree w/ Jeffie7, i have a 2 stroke in the microsprint i race and the motor is on the table getting worked on more than in the car

The Aprilia's oiling system has a varying volumetric pump in it. I have been researching it, and nobody has said anything about having to rebuild them at all... A Co-worker of mine is into bikes, and he says that the oiling system is similar to his son's XR50.

I'll do more research..

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 8 2004, 03:17 PM
The Aprilia's oiling system has a varying volumetric pump in it. I have been researching it, and nobody has said anything about having to rebuild them at all... A Co-worker of mine is into bikes, and he says that the oiling system is similar to his son's XR50.

I'll do more research..

Dude the XR50 is a 4 stroke no way does a 2stroke motor have a similar.

Bottom line 2 strokes need to have a gas/oil mix weather it be mixed before putting it into the tank or something mounted on the bike you keep filled....

On top of that 2 strokes no matter what you do will not last as long as 4 stokes

Most every 2 stoke motorcycle is used for one thing... the 250cc race class which is one of the harder classes to run in and BTW they set some of the fastest lap times due to having such an easy/light bike to toss around in the turns

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 10 2004, 03:03 PM
sorry... the XR50 is what he has now... His son's old 50cc bike was a 2 stroke....

What was it? I havent seen a 50cc 2 stoke dirt bike before 60s on the other hand.... =) either way oil needs to be mixed with gas one way or another that means either mixing it yourself or having a oil tank theres no way around it unless it's not a two stroke

Werd =) I've never seen any BIG name companies make them lol

This bike is designed to let your junior learn to ride a motorbike. It is an ideal first bike having brakes where they would find them on their bicycle. In addition it has an engine and automatic clutch which is designed to bring the power in smoothly and not frighten them.

WHY THE HELL would you build a bike for a someone to start out and say you want to bring the power in smoothly? WTF its a TWO STROKE! thats whta 4strokes are for very mellow powerbands not a friggin 2 stroke....

i want the 450. power of a 600, but insurance would be dirt cheap... it's mine

Originally posted by Iron 1@Jul 12 2004, 12:22 AM
i want the 450. power of a 600, but insurance would be dirt cheap... it's mine

I pay 34 bucks a month full coverage, with a 200 deductable on my 600cc bike. With only basic insruance it's like 11 bucks a month

how much cheaper could you want? lol

Originally posted by jeffie7+Jul 12 2004, 12:52 AM-->
@Jul 12 2004, 12:22 AM
i want the 450.  power of a 600, but insurance would be dirt cheap...  it's mine

I pay 34 bucks a month full coverage, with a 200 deductable on my 600cc bike. With only basic insruance it's like 11 bucks a month

you do what?? seriously.. what do you own and how old are you?

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jul 8 2004, 07:16 AM
foto_mod_pg_347_1060014653.jpg

my choice=)

Those ARE nice bikes. There was a collin edwards mille R running around town here a little while ago. Sick bike. I wouldn't want the maintanence costs of anything Italian without making at least 50k a year.

Originally posted by jeffie7+Jul 12 2004, 12:52 AM-->
@Jul 12 2004, 12:22 AM
i want the 450.  power of a 600, but insurance would be dirt cheap...  it's mine

really?? I've gotta check out my insurance rates!!!

Back