dumb question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rondogg779

what weight gear oil should i go with in my manual tranny.I'm trying to quieten it up a little.i went with 90w last time and it did ok for about a week.can i go any thicker??? (i know i have bigger problems causing the noise but it worked somewhat last time)

Ha yeah, you can put super thick stuff in there if you want, or you can deal with the real probelm for very little money:

Tiger Japanese Auto Parts LTD - ZC 5 Speed Transmission Honda Civic 92-95 DOHC

That JDM tranny will bolt up to your engine (as the ZC is the JDM D16Z6) and you are only out a few hundred dollars after freight. May I admonish you that while you have the tranny out of the car, also replace your rear main seal on the crankshaft so it doesn't spring a leak someday and you kick yourself.

This tranny would have 25-35k of easy driving on it, you CANNOT go wrong, but lighting $20 bills on fire here and there trying "Transmission fix in a bottle," thick gear oil, and other shitty temporary fixes- you DEFINITELY are going wrong there. Unless you are totally piss poor and you have no idea how to work on a car, just drop the few hundred bucks and set yourself up to have a ride for a long time. I can vouch for that site that they truly are LOW LOW mileage engines and transmissions and compatibility is a non-issue. Obviously replace at least your clutch plate as well, but I can tell you right now that for less than $500 you an put a new transmission in your car, and that's if you put a new clutch set and rear main in there too. more like $350 if you're really on a budget and you skip the clutch thing.

That's my two cents worth, do what you want, but I had a tranny going out and I pissed away my money trying a bottle of this, bottle of that, and I finally said fuck it and bought a whole wrecked car with a tranny, parted the car out and got my money back, AND had a transmission left over. Had I known about Tiger back then, I would've just gone that route. Good luck!

im not sure that i need a transmission.it is just making a grinding noise around three grand,and last time i changed the gear oil in the tranny it stopped for a while.the car is still running fine and the clutch feels good.all the gears pull normally it just makes that fucking noise.

you really think the syncros?they were bad in my ranger and it would pop out of gear or you could smack the passanger in the face with the shifter.what is the recommended gear oil to put back in the transmission?last time i used lucas 90w gear oil and it seemed thinner than what was in there(and i was only able to remove about 3/4 of the old oil because it was at an angle.

Lucas= Shit. People think they are being clever by using shitty additives- guess what, the engineers who designed the transmissions for Honda engineered them with very particular fluids in mind- so when you replace your tranny, don't pour $10 shit in a bottle down your fill hole, go to the dealer and get MTF from Honda. And about your current transmission, see my above post. Replace it. Everyone wants to believe that there is something in a bottle that will undo age and all their neglect and abuse, but there simply isn't. Just be glad you're a car guy and you can replace the tranny for almost nothing ($300). You can do it in 1 day. So, there's the best advice you'll get, I'd take it. Or you can keep asking around and see if anyone knows a leprechaun, who, if you catch him, will give you "transmission healer."

GM Synchomesh Friction Modified... known to cure a grinding tranny

12377916.gif

Last edited:
Back