Dunno where to post, Turobo and state inspections

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

Hey i do not know where to put this post, so if this is not the right place for it, please re-direct me.
I am moving to pittsburgh pa, and im almost done with my 93 turob cx. I do not know anything about the state inspections down there. Are there Emission checks? Do they just check your car mechanicly, like make sure your cars not rotted out and that the horn works? Will my car get throug inspections if its got a d16z6 turbo, neither were stock?
Can someone give me a rundown of the PA state inspections?
Id apreciate it.

it depends largely on where you live-

in my town for instance, we don't have emmissions checks, only a visual inspection of things such as brakes, tires, windshield wipers, lights, etc etc

however certain towns are getting emissions and it would be wise to check on yours first- also of note is the fact that there is no state maintained inspection center in PA- Independent shops are responsible for the inspection of cars and motorcycles, and as such, they're often somewhat lenient when it comes to things like turbo kits

of course, this depends greatly on the type of shop you go to, whether or not you know the guys working, etc, etc

but a lot of times the only thing they look for under the hood is the emissions equipment- however i would get a feel for a shop before i give them the money for the inspection, because pass or fail, they keep the cash :)

PM me if you have anymore questions

slick, thats what i was lookin for. My uncle works at a dealership down there, maybe he can hook it up.
Anyways thanks again.

In the Pittsburgh area the inspection/emissions testing involves a saftey check consisting of lights, brakes, tires, suspension, etc, and what is called a visual anti-tampering test. Meaning your car must have any emissions component on it that came from the factory. They dont have to necessarily work, but they have to appear to work and be the proper component for the car.

The emission test for your car would be a TSI, or two-speed idle test. It would get a tail pipe probe and be tested at both idle, and 2500 rpm. And legally, if you fail the test you get 1 free re-test. That's with emissions only, not safety.

If they charge more than about $75-80 for both tests, move on, thats a bit high for this area but I've seen shops charge that much.

Back