Dynomometer Break-in

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Good idea, or bad idea?

The interest is that my mom just bought a 328i, and it needs to get shipped to the states about 2 weeks after we take delivery. The problem is that there's not enough time to do the BMW prescribed 1200 miles. (odly enough, the salesman said 'you don't have to break in the engines anymore, they're built so well now. But you shouldn't go over 100mph, or take it above about 4500 rpm' Heh.)

She's scared some kid (or adult) in the shipping company is going to abuse it (getting it on the boat, rev the hell out of it, joyriding in the parking lot, etc.)

I've got an appointment with a tuner today to talk to him about it, but what do you guys think? I know this is a pretty contraversial topic in the building world.

Drive it like it's hot, or drive it like you're grandma?

Here are a few links I've seen on the subject:
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
ENGINE BREAK-IN PROCEDURES

The biggest thing is that I have to convince my mom to not "just take it for a spin" before we put it on the trailer.

Please discuss.

Last edited:
Interesting fact....even though I love Hondas I have been a Dodge tech for about 11 years and when the Hemis came out the break in period was basically drive it like you stole it so this might be true on a lot of new cars. We also have VW and BMW at our dealer so i could find out for sure from a friend when I get home from England in a week or so if youw anna PM me then.(April 13th)

The car gets picked up on the 9th. I need to have the plan all worked out before we get it.

I'm leaning towards running the hell out of it.

The car gets picked up on the 9th. I need to have the plan all worked out before we get it.

I'm leaning towards running the hell out of it.

x2 on that...git-r-dun

Back