ecu an othe problems? need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18a1civic96

I got a 96 civic with a b18a1 motor in it. I got a ob2a -obd1 harness with a p28 ecu an for some odd reason ive blown two ecus in a month any ideas on that an wat it could be or wrong.? an my 2nd problem is i just replaced new head gasket an bolted it all up an when i started the car its really hard to get it to start an when it would start for an run for a few sec it a bunch of white smoke comes out the intake threw the throttle body any ideas

The ecu problem sounds like a short or a ground issue. Do you have a helms manual? If not I suggest finding one online and going through the electrical section and testing all the grounds at the ecu. Did you convert the harness yourself? If you bought it from a company I would call them and see if they can help. They may have sold you a faulty harness. Where are you getting the ecu's? The first ecu I used in my car was bought from a member on a forum and it went bad after three months. One of the capacitors failed and melted a small hole in the circuit board. It was no fault of mine, just a bad ecu. I think it is unlikely that you have picked up two bad ecus, but it is possible. Who is chipping the ecu for you? Maybe they are not skilled enough and they are messing something up in the process.

As far as the head gasket, are you sure that torqued down the head properly?

Car came with harness an the ecu i got from pittsburgh performance chipped an socked ill get a book an go over everything

The head gasket i thinks right first bolted it to 25 lbs then went back over an put them to 61 lbs Could the timing be off ive checked timing everything at tdc first clylnder after full rotation of crank both exhuast an intake are both closed an my dizzy when at tdc tge rotor points to top left so that should be 1-3-4-2 right

I am not sure what you are asking. The dizzy rotor only goes on one way. Are you asking how to find TDC on cylinder 1.

No the dizzy is fine but trying to figure out if the cam could be wrong like when 1-4 at tdc the evalves an i valves are both closed then when tdc on 2-3 the 1-4 e valves an i valves are open. Witch is why i think the smokes coming out both exhuast an intake

How are determining TDC? Can you take pics of the cam gears at TDC.

Ill take pics once i get back going to get a haynes book for my car but i have the marks on on cam gears pointing at each other in middle an problem is dont have a plate to show tdc on my crank

The arrow point straight up. There are also notches on the cam gears that should be dead level with the top of the head.
The bottom timing cog has a line that you line up with the arrow on the oil pump, you will need to take the crank pulley off to see the line.

I got it all set up everything is lined up an good to go thanks guys for all ur help

What was the problem and how did you fix it? It will be helpful for others if you post how you solved the problem. Did you find out why your ecu keeps frying?

i went an got a haynes book an read threw it an found out the timing set marks and the wiring found out the one wire in my harness going out from ecu to motor had a slit /pinch in the wire making it short out

Back