ECU doesnt look for o2 sensor, should I use it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
If the ecu does not throw a code when the o2 sensor is unplugged does that mean it is not being used? Would it being used help or hurt the performance?

Huh? The ECU should always be looking for an O2 sensor unless you're running an aftermarket setup that's always in open loop mode. The O2 sensor is required for closed loop operation so that you can have proper fuel metering at partial throttle.

I mean that when the o2 sensor is unplugged it does not throw a code. The ecu is chipped by phearable. I was just wondering if it still being used or if it just there.

It might be set to ignore the O2 sensor completely- which isn't a good thing. You don't want to run an open loop fixed fuel/timing map all the time. You might ask the guy who wrote the program- he/she would be the best source, not a forum that doesn't know what exactly you have in your ECU.

Ok so I contacted them and they told me that their programs do not use o2 feedback. What does this mean for my engine? Is this a big problem or can it be fixed by having the car tuned? I have been looking around and I have found some people that do run their cars under these conditions. I also imagine that if phearable has been doing this for a while. then leaving the ecu in open loop should have some purpose, I hope.

Last edited:
It basically means that the engine will never run on a map that takes into account things like air temperature and how the engine is truly running. If the open loop map is something you're happy with and the weather in your area never changes, then you're ok. :lol:

I am not happy with it right now that is why I am trying to find out if my ecu program sux or not. I have yet to have my car tuned however, so when I get it done it may be ok. In your opinion can a good tune make the car run well in most conditions? Would the tuner be able to make the ecu use the o2 sensor, or would I have to get another program? This is what Phearable told me.

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:21 PM, <sales@phearable.net> wrote:
80% of honda/acura owners have o2 sensors which are fouled & not working properly.
We have designed our ecu programs to not rely on o2 feedback. Not using narrowband o2 feedback is not going to cause problems.

Thank you,
Phearable.net Sales

On 9/6/2010 4:17 PM, ----------- wrote: Isnt it bad to have an open loop? Why would you disable the o2 for a stock engine? Will this cause me problems?

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM,phearable.net> wrote:
Our programs don't use o2 feedback.

Thank You,
Phearable.net Sales

On 9/5/2010 9:41 AM, --------- wrote:
ContactName: ----------
Phone: ----------
Email: -----------
Question: I have an ecu that you chipped for me and I just have a question. Does the program use the o2 sensor? I know that when it is unplugged it does not throw a code. Is it on an open loop?

Last edited:
Honestly, I think that's a pretty lame excuse. If the sensor is fouled, go get another one- don't bypass it! 95% of your driving is at partial throttle, so you should be in closed loop operation at those times. You really want the car to be running off the O2 sensor when your foot's not on the floor.

If all phearable did was put a chip in your ECU, then another chip should enable you to use the O2 sensor. If they modified the ECU itself (not sure if they would) then you may not be able to use the O2 sensor no mattter what.

Can a tuner re-enable it when they do the tune, or do I have to actually get another chip? Correct me if I am wrong, but without the o2 then the only problem will be that the ecu wont make changes to the afr. If it is a set map then when it gets cold or humid I will get a variation in the performance of the engine.

I didn't use the o2 either.... i had a wideband in the car that i tuned for, and didn't bother with the narrow band reading at all.

If its tuned correctly, the o2 is overrated.

humidity is effected by the map/baro, not o2.
temp, the iat will account for

A new chip can be made to enable the o2 if you want, but it effectively disables the map.

Are you saying that you just tune with the wideband then take it out and plug the whole or did you run the car with the wideband in place?

Last edited:
i left the wideband in while tuning only (external lm-1 style), and had a o2 bung plug when done.

Ok. Yeah I have the plug that came with the header. I guess for now I will just have it tuned as it is and then if I dont like it I can always get another chip.

if your motor is stock, just get a chip that emulates the ecu you should be running, (like a p30?) and plug it into your socket. xenocron.com sells them.
also if you have an eprom burner you could download the p30.bin file an burn it yourself.

Back