ecu help for my del sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jordo155

i just put in a jdm b16a2 into my 93 del sol...i kept the original wiring harness from the car cause it came with a d16z6. i put the b16 in last weekend and it fired right up...i wired the knock sensor into the ecu and had to extend a couple wires...the only problem is the engine doesnt idol quite right and when i stab the pedal to floor, when the car is in neutral, when the rpm's drop its almost like the engine wants to quit...it also is lackin power...the check engine light is on and i checked it. it spit out code 2...oxygen content i think...the ecu is a p30. i read that the p30 was made to read 2 o2 sensors and i have only 1...i also have p28 computer and i read that you are not supposed to use the p30 in an obd1 swap you are supposed to use a chipped p28...could that be my problem??? im stuck if anyone can help that would be awesome:)

B16's don't have any bottom end power :p
Using a chipped p28 is a great alternative if your ECU is looking for 2 o2 sensors.
(Which it is)

when i say no bottom end i mean like no bottom end...when i drive it the fuckin thing almost quits lol so im not sure whats goin on...

use the p28...the lack of a second o2 sensor will really effe up your fuel maps.

fuel pressure wouldnt have anything to do with it would it? cause when i drive it, it has like no power...i put the p28 in and its the same thing...the only difference is that when i give it gas when the car is in neutral it doesnt wanna quit...it still takes forever to go from 1000rpm to 3000rpm and when i drive it there is next to no power...

do you have a gauge on the lines...if so, whats the fuel pressure reading at?

did you con fuse the tps with the maps sensour the are the same conection you might wana check that out just swap them around

is it possible that because the B16 injectors are bigger than the D16Z6 injectors so the engine is oversaturated with fuel? cause when i put the p28 ecu in it ran rich but it didnt wanna quit anymore...if i was to swap out the injectors for a quick fix till i get my chip would it work? i should get most of the power but not all of it right?

your maps will be off no matter what. a p30 will fix it completely, or a new map for your p28. i would not add the z6 injectors back. youll probably run super lean, and rich is always better than lean.....well almost always, you dont want to take your engine for a swim in fuel, but you know what i mean.

the z6 is a 9.2:1 compression SOHC engine with a 125 horsepower. if you put those injectors on a 10.4:1 compression DOHC engine with a 160 horsepower. it is likely that the thing will go kaboom

Last edited:
well, in that case, how do i wire in a second o2 sensor without actually running one? is there a way that i can run a wire from the ecu and bridge it somewhere?

how can i fool the ecu into thinking that there is a second o2s...there is only one o2s ran in this harness so i need to know how to run another wire so i can splice in somewhere so the computer recognizes it

look for o2 simulators, lots of people run them. Or just wire in another o2 sensor. I have a feeling you have more problems than just that, as the o2 sensors only are used when you're ecu is in closed loop. Does your car have these problems when it is cold (the engine not warmed up)?

yes its worse when its cold...when i rev the engine while its in neutral it wants quit when i let off the gas...it doesnt do it when it warms up...with the p28 anyways...with the p30 it wants to quit when the rpms come down when the engine is cold or not...the p30 looks like it might have been dropped or something hit it cause the case has a dent in it could that have something to do with it? i think this whole thing has to do with fuel but im not sure this is my first swap.

Well...try to find someone that has a known working ecu, and see if that fixes things. Honestly though, it sounds like your problem is not o2 related since you are having issues when the engine is cold too. The ecu doesn't look at the o2 sensors until the engine is warm. Try adjusting your idle screw, or check out the FITV, or IACV. Also make sure you have no vacuum leaks anywhere. You could also try cleaning your fuel injectors. and replace the fuel filter. Those are about the only things I could think of. I'm sure you have new plugs, and they are gapped right, so I couldn't see those being a problem.

whats the FITV? i dont have any vaccuum leaks i already checked that...the injectors and filters are a good idea...i have new plugs and wires... and i have a known workin ecu its a p28 from the d16z6...when i put that in it doesnt wanna quit anymore it just runs rich and i still dont have the power i should...could it be that i just have to chip that p28? and if so what chip is recommended?

if you want a chip and you dont have a burner, chris at xenocron.com will burn one for you, and i think phearable.net also does chip burning. You dont want a namebrand, you just want a stock p30 map.

Back