ecu swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

need2bfaster

ok ive asked alot of ?'s but ive been reading about the f22a6 ecu ppl saying its better to add that one in replace of my f22a1 ecu can any one tell me what gains i would possibly have from that or how i would benifit

Looks like BS to me..

And the ECU isn't going to do much for you if you have a stock engine. If you add the A6 intake manifold and upgrade the exhaust manifold & cam it might be worth it then.

i have full exhaust not sure what the header is it came on the car when i got it not sure if that would make a difference

so say i do get an intake and have exhaust but not the cam im also going to be getting my head port and polished would the ecu be worth buying then

It might get you a little extra power then..

If I remember correctly the A6 has a dual runner intake manifold (like the GSR), and you can make power with that as long as you have the ECU to control its operation.

If you're going to P&P your head I would start looking for an upgraded cam as well otherwise it's not going to make nearly as much difference.

im not 100 percent sure on what u mean by dual runner and the ecu to control it will the a6 ecu do that im assuming

The intake manifold from the F22A6 has an intake air bypass valve that basically changes the size of the intake runners based on rpm. And yes, the A6 ECU will be able to control the valve.

Honda Automotive Parts

i found an ecu but it was for an auto tranny will that effect any thing ?? also isnt that obd1 and mine obd0......if so what do i go about doing to fix that problem

Last edited:
Yeah it will cause a check engine light unless you either modify or chip it so it's not looking for the automatic trans solenoids.

thank you much ...... ok can u help with the ? about if its obd1 and mine being obd0 if mine is obd0 which im almost 100 % sure it is and that one is obd1 which im not sure it is what do i need to fix the problem never mind i guess i got to go to rywire.com right ???

Last edited:
Oh yeah I didn't realize you had a 90 Accord before.. it is OBD0. You'll need a conversion harness and a different distributor to make the A6 ECU work. I think you will also need a 4 wire o2 sensor, but not positive. The stock OBD0 injectors will be ok to use as long as you retain the injector resistor box.

You can get the conversion harness from Rywire Rywire - Online Store

Honestly though.. it might not be worth all the trouble & cost to convert to OBD1 and run that ECU because the performance difference isn't really all that much.

i already got the distributor and i have an obd1 wiring harness for the engine but its off an engine with an auto tranny

You don't need the whole engine harness.. all you need is a jumper harness to convert the plugs from OBD0 to work in an OBD1 ECU. The stock engine harness is fine, you can rewire the distributor plugs using the plugs from the obd1 harness that you got.

maybe im worng i read that obd0 is from 89 and back and obd1 is from 90 95 and obd2 is from 96 and up can this be confirmed???

Last edited:
It depends on the car, but the Accords started obd1 in 1991 afaik.

Last edited:
Those people sound like complete retards..

Anyway I wasn't thinking when made my last post, but the Civic & Integra were obd0 until 1992, where they switched to obd1.

The Prelude was OBD0 until 1990, so the Accord might have changed at the same time (which would make sense) but I've seen a bunch of people trying to convert 90 accords from OBD0 so I don't know for sure. Just go look at the plugs on your ECU and then you'll know for sure.

ok what exactly am i looking fo on the plugs color words what will determin obd0 or obd1

Basically just see if there are 2 plugs (obd0) or 3 separate plugs (obd1) going into the computer. If you're still not sure from that post the number from the ecu, which is a sticker on the side of the case, and I'll be able to tell you for sure.

Back