EF9 tuning.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

From what you said the Z6 sounds like a better choice but I have no clue where I could get a valve job and a port/polish at. We have a tuning shop around here that might do it but I'm not sure.

If I do use the Y8 head do I have to use the OBD0 distributor?

Last edited:
If I find a head with a valve job done should I get that over one that hasn't?

I looked up the Y8 head on ebay and I saw one with a valve job but it was about twice the price as one with out it.

Then just buy one untouched and send it to a place you trust for the valve job- you'll be better off that way.

I know a place around here but I've never been there. Though I've heard they do good work. No clue how much they'll charge me. How much will a valve job do for me, or a port/polish?

Sounds good. But what will they do differently depending on if its n/a or not?

I was browsing then net and I came across "racing spec head gasket" Here is the discriptions. "Note: This head gasket is availbe in 0.4mm and 2.0mm versions. The 0.4mm one will increase engine compression slightly over stock (this will give you a little extra power). The 2.0mm one is for turbo Civics and will give your engine a lower (and safer) compression ratio." Would that be worth $100 for the n/a version and $200 for the turbo?

I was talking to my friend about tuning up my car and he told me that if I was going to add a turbo that I should rebuild it. Should I rebuild it and how hard would it be, or should I have a shop do it?

how hard would it be, or should I have a shop do it?

If you know what your doing, it's not hard at all.
If your the 'reader' type, and not a 'doer', I would just pay a shop to do it. Theres a lot of things you can mess up.

You just have to make sure you have a manual for the engine right in front of you, in which case they tell you everything you need to do, step by step, as well as give you proper torque specs and sequences.

When I bought the car the guy said he put a new engine in it. I'm guessing he blew the old one but I didn't ask. So from how much was on it and how long I've had it, I'd say there is about 40k on the engine. I don't know if that helps but I figured I'd bring it up.

You just have to make sure you have a manual for the engine right in front of you
Does the car manual have that in it or will I have to buy a new one?

Your gonna need a Helms or Haynes manual. It's a little more in depth about technical things than the general "this is when to change the oil, rotate the tires, etc" manual in the car.

I think Advanced Auto sells Haynes manuals.
GL!

If you have a high milage engine and would feel better rebuilding it, do so. I did. However, I did a mostly stock rebuild.

I used this link (Gallery) for the engine and a Haynes and Chiltons repair manual for the chassis. Haynes and Chiltons both suck, but they're published by the same company and do augment each other's information.

:linksucks: [/sarcasm]

:ph34r:

I assumed the 87 was the one to look at. Good stuff. Didn't read it though.

So my plan as it stands is to gather all the parts I want to put in. Then rebuild it and in the process add the aftermarket parts. Then take it to get it tuned shortly after.

I'm still researching. So I'm not sure what all parts I'll get. After all I don't want to spend a lot of money on something totally useless.

Last edited:
I just glanced at the site, the engine set up was similar. I was just going to use the head from a '92.

I just glanced at the site, the engine set up was similar. I was just going to use the head from a '92.
Well if your doing the mini-me, It will be great to put on your a6 block. The a6 block is said to be the best d-series block. Youll just have to play around with your dizzy a little.

If you do that, it's pretty much making it a d16z6. the blocks are almost identical.

Thats what I have. An A6/Z6 hybrid. when it was in the car, it felt great, and thats without vtec, and with a massive oil leak(warped head).

Just wire the setup obd-1 and use the Z6 dizzy.

I looked at the Z6 swap and with a mini me it seemed to be more or less the same and a less work. Should have stated that, sorry.

Back