EG: Auto -> Manual Won't Start w/ Manual ECU but will w/ Auto ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg4dr

I've been searching for an answer to this problem all morning long and haven't been able to find one.

This weekend we converted my car from an automatic to manual, and everything went smoothly. Under the shift console I wired the two large black wires together so the starter would engage, and grounded out the green/wht wire so the starter lock solenoid would think the car was in park and let me take my key out.

When we plug in the manual ECU and try to start the car, it cranks over like it wants to start, but doesn't. When we swap it out with the automatic ECU the car starts right up but obviously throws codes for some of the auto-related things.

Upon further investigation we noticed that the car isnt' getting fuel when the manual ECU is connected and used to start the car, but it's fine with the auto ECU. If we prime the fuel system by turning the key to ON a few times with the auto ECU and then swap to the manual ECU, the car starts and actually lasts until the fuel rail is drained of fuel and then the engine dies.

Both ECUs are known good.

Is there some other wiring that needs to be done in order to make a manual ECU work with the car? Are there wires to clip somewhere or some auto trans control module that needs to be unplugged (under the dash maybe?)

Last edited:
I already grounded out the "park" lead from the harness that was attached to the auto shifter assembly. This lets me do a couple things - one, start the car, and two - remove my key from the car when it's off. Looking at the auto shifter assembly, the lead for neutral isn't grounded when you're in park - only when in neutral. Since this only deals with starting the car, grounding the park lead is the way to go. I've gathered that from the many posts I've read on multiple forums over the past couple days.

That still doesn't explain why the car won't start with the manual ECU attached but will with the auto. Actually I shouldn't say that - it does start with the manual ECU attached but doesn't run the fuel pump for some reason.

I hope that's the one you're talking about - if not, I could use any clue I could get.

I've searched on H-T and on here and have found similar problems by guys running auto-manual conversions in EKs, but not EGs.

yeah thats the one.

for the hell of it, check to see if your fuel pump is getting any voltage?

I can do that.

Thing is - the car starts right up with the automatic ECU installed. Starts up and drives fine, minus CELs and no VTEC. ;-)

It's showing no voltage at fuel pump with the manual ECU.

Nevermind. I was hoping to get help from someone whose done this before and try to avoid scouring wiring diagrams.

Back