EG speedo problem.... Speed Sensor??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hpowered1

So today i'm driving along and out of nowhere i see the speedo needle drop to zero and just stay there for a few seconds and then it pops back up to the speed.... I was hoping it was a fluke but, it happend again..... Any ideas?? Thanks

or bad VSS or it could be something in the gauge cluster my speedometer doesnt work ether I still need to figure that out but I have bigger fish to fry

Now the entire odometer & speedometer stopped working.... a friend of mine told me that VTEC would not work if the VSS went out.... I still have VTEC but no working speedo or odo...... alternator seems good, havnt had any issues there..... ideas???? Thanks

Swap the VSS out for a known working one. It is not uncommon for them to go bad, as they do turn many many many rotations during it's lifetime. If still no luck, than the check the wiring to speedo from the VSS. If still no luck, swap the guage cluster out for a known working one.

Definitely check your grounds first....do all the easy stuff.

I had a problem similar to this except for the fact that my speedometer was FREAKING out (going from zero to 120 to 40 to 80 to 60) while like lights were dimming and pulsating.

We ended up replacing a lot of parts we didn't need to only to later find out that we just need to check and ground a wire which....FIXED the problem.

good luck!

if you have any other questions ask!

WERD! Same shit I had happen!But my bad ground turned out to be the main neg wire off the battery.

Check grounds behind the cluster and for the wiring to the cluster!!

I had this with that neon I bought from B, I removed the cluster and found some bad connections on the connector itself and a ground wire that was severed but not totally disconnected. I know its a Dodge, but its the same kinda idea ;)

Back