El Cheapo CAIs!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I was just wondering if the super cheap cold air intakes that you can get off ebay for $25 are any good. They look similar in design to the aem ones, so do they still function in a similar mannor? (I know, i shouldn't just look at it because it doesn't tell me anything, but they look so shiny and pretty:D) Thanks for the info.

-Kai

I have one on my crx and its not too bad. I havent had any problems with it. I want to put a better filter on it. It made somewhat of a difference in power and has a nice grunt to it.

just get the cheapo CAI
hit it with some ceramic heat sheilding paint (inside and out)
use a K&N filter
and youve pretty much got an AEM

I was using a cheapo CAI on my civic even if they suck ass VS the AEMs the 1 HP you lose by saving 200 bucks is worth it IMO

yea the cheapo ones are usually just as good as the name brands. the only difference usually is the filter. they usually come with a not-so-great filter that doesnt flow as much air as a K&N. (K&N makes the filters for pretty much every name brand intake). you can just replace the original filter with a K&N for about $30.

I made my intake...heres a picture
s3fd5d6a55cc73.jpg

A little ghetto but only cost me $2 for the reducer

your intake would work much better if you had a throttle body.

:pie:

all an intake is is pretty much a pipe and a filter.
no matter what brand.

:unsure: didnt think anyone would notice...lol

yea i know, my car would also run. gotta wait for my 3rd TPS and It'll move, wish i wasnt so picky and never took my old one off (ran ok except for the surge between 1500-2000 rpm).

Originally posted by civicious@Dec 9 2003, 10:22 AM

:pie:

all an intake is is pretty much a pipe and a filter.
no matter what brand.

BAHGAHAHAHAHHA

I used a el cheopo unit and worked great, I bought the piping for like 40 bucks, painted it with heat repellant spray and also wrapped it with heat repellant tape, and put on a blitz filter. Worked awesome.

ditto to the above. I got a cheapo Toucan intake, with my brothers old AEM (K&N) filter on it. works great. Only difference is that the cheap ones usually dont have the mounting brackets and what not, so they might rattle sometimes. But nothing that a little foam tape wont fix.

Originally posted by BlackFrog@Dec 12 2003, 09:12 PM
ditto to the above. I got a cheapo Toucan intake, with my brothers old AEM (K&N) filter on it. works great. Only difference is that the cheap ones usually dont have the mounting brackets and what not, so they might rattle sometimes. But nothing that a little foam tape wont fix.

or zip ties. that's what i used to hold my matrix intake in my accord.

yup, put the filter that was on the sri on there. works just fine, ive had it for several thousand miles.

Originally posted by noobvang@Dec 13 2003, 02:30 AM
zip ties are the shit!

use them anywhere I can :D

on speed channel they were talking to one of the top fuel racing mechanics and he said they use something like 1,500 zip ties on their race car!

Back