Engine Check Light Stays on Car Won't Start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NALA7

I was trying to hardwire a power adaptor to run my laptop in my car (I'm on a road trip) and foolishly connected it to a 7.5 amp fuse and grounded the other lead to car body. The power draw for the power adaptor is 6.3 amps, but manufacturer says to mount it on a 15 amp fuse. The fuse in question is unmarked on my fuse panel diagram so i don't know what it does. The car is a 1989 LXi. The 7.5 fuse is mounted just below the under dash fuse panel. Probobly goes to the ECU. None of the fuses are blown. Fuses under the hood all appear to be ok too. I used a fuse tester. Although I was working with battery disconnected, I would connect battery to test. No power to the adaptor when I did the test.
The car turns over, but won't start and engine check light stays on. Did I fry the ECU?

if you have a check engine light on the your ecu isnt fried. try piggy backin the ecu to recieve the code from the check engine light ..

not necessary, if your getting a check engine light on. the you should be able to diagnos the car. as far as your ecu not working your best bet before you replace is to get that code ... some times if you get a check engine light is on its usally not your ecu ... the ecu gives you the check engine light ...you should be able to get a code by piggy backin the ecu ..try that then let me know what code you have ..... or you can look it up.. as far as your laptop goes.. never hooked up one to a honda

Honda Won't Start

Thanks for your response....well, the car has magically fixed itself somehow. Maybe after all the fooling around with the fuse panel and numerous battery hookups and disconnects it just took some time to reset itself. Eventually the check light just went off by itself and car started right up---curious. Thanks again. I'll try to remember doing a code check if something like it happens again. Thank you :)

Back