Engine cuts out when Hot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Enoch407984

Hey can anypne help me find out what is going on with my 91 Honda Prelude. It runs fine and starts acting like its starving for gas when it warms up. runs fine when its cold then the temp gets to normal and starts hesitating and like its out of gas when it gets warm. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I did have the timing belt and water pump replaced less than 2 months ago and mechanic said everything seems fine. Thought I had water in my gas did a couple fuel treatments and still doing the same. Just dont understand why it runs fine cold. Has to be a sensor or something messing up runs too good cold to be a mechanical issue least I hope. :confused:

Anyone got any ideas yet what is going on? I did find out that people who got gas from same place as I usually do having the same problem?

I did ran out all the old gas did fuel treatment and still doing the same thing. Replaced the o2 sensor a few months ago. I have some type of error code on the box under the right side not sure how to read it though. Just keeps flasing steady, no shorts or longs just a single steady blink.

try putting a few bottles of heet. in the yellow bottle. in your gas. run that through that should help alot if it is bad gas.

Thanks guys did the heet and reset the ecu. Started it back up no error codes so far. I will keep running it and see what happens. Thanks guys. I will keep ya updated.

I sure will. Looks to be doing ok not driven it yet just letting it idle and run the treatment through. So far no error codes blinking. I will keep posted. Thanks again I do appreciate it.

Ahh I see. I will take it out for a test drive tomorrow and see how it does. Any ideas why the sun roof dumps tons of water on the inside when it sits in the rain? Tryed blowing out the drain holes and it still dumps in.

Ok I did the test drive started doing exact same thing when it got warm then when I cut it off it wont start back. This time I didnt get any error codes. I can only drive it for about 10 minutes and that is it. When I do try starting it it sounds like its backfireing when the engine turns over. Its that or some kind of popping sound and I do smell gas strong like its flooding. Thanks in advance I really need to get it fixed only car I have for right now and am on limited funds cant take it to the shop.

Should I get it on the interstate so I can keep it at a higher and constant speed? Beed driving it on back roads mostly think that would help?

no. dont do that.

check the timing, make sure its right. do a valve lash adjustment.

Funny you should say that. I had a timing belt replaced just 2 months ago not much longer than that when all this started out doing it a little bit then got worse. Thought it was just bad gas. Think it hurt my engine any? Any options of changing the timing without a light so I can get it running enough to get back to the shop that fixed it? If it did hurt my engine will the guy that fixed it be responsible for it?

you need a timing light to CHECK the timing.. not to set it.
but its easier with a timing light.. lol

you can line up the timing marks, and to double check it, put one of the pistons at tdc(along with its companion) and make sure that the valves of one of them are at valve overlap while the other has both valves closed.

How much should it cost to just have the timing checked? Could I have damaged the engine any?

unless the timing was wayyyy off.. i doubt it.
and if im not mistaken, it wont even start if its too far off.

i dont know how much it would cost.

Back