engine disaster

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aldogg8

2 days ago i bought a 99 b16a2 for my 5th gen civic. i just bought the long block , well anyway today i went out to clean up and work on the engine. as i was going over the motor; i decided to turn the crank, to see how the pistons moved. the pistons moved up and down in their order, but as i turned the crank it got to a point where it was real real hard, and i didn't spin it any further. but i can spin the motor a half turn in both directions so my problem is , is the motor supposed to do this or is it supposed to spin freely. the motor is still complete and together, the timing belt is still in its place. i was looking thru the spark plug wholes to see if the pistons were going up and down in order and they were. so can someone please give me some info and help. [please don't tell me i need another block, the motor looks in very good condition, and from what i was told the motor was running good when it was removed from the car, so if anyone has any info, please help]

i took the cover off of the timing belt the timing belt tension was pretty good the timing belt looks like it's in good condition. the car it was taken from was crashed in the rear and at i was told that at the time the motor was pulled from the car, it was running.

yes all the plugs are out the timing belt and everything that is under there looks new i know that looks can be deceiving but the motor looks new too

hmm.. theres going to be some tension anyways because of the camshaft, at least that'll be a majority of it. got a torque wrench? if you set it at 30 lbs/ft and it still wont turn somethings definetly wrong. first make sure your timing marks are lined up. the cam gears should have arrows that point to 3:00 and 9:00 positions as well as have the word 'up' at the top or exact bottom while the crankshaft pulley should have a mark lined up with another mark on the oil pump or block. if they dont all line up at the same time then your timings off. you should be turning your engine CCW BTW.

well i took the head off and i found some water in the top of one of the pistons and some rust around the piston walls so i cleaned the top of the piston. and it turned i'm going to get the block cleaned and new rings, bearings, pistons and seals so what do u all think :unsure:

Back