engine markings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dvus1

Where and how do you find out the year of the engine your buying. And if it's original or rebuilt...?

you don't if its older than 97. 97+ have vin plates on them, and you can run the vin from there... but older motors, you really can't tell.

rebuilt or not is a tough call too....

sometimes there are little plugs on the block, they are called a "machinists mark" i think.

they are about the size of a dime, and it looks like someone welded a dime into the side of the block. there are usually more than 1. i'll see if i can find a pic.

On the exhaust side of the head, right by those four blisters for the cam lobes, should be little circles with the manufacturing date on them. Mine was manufactured on January 17, 1994. It'll say something like 94 1 17. About the rebuild, I have no clue.

s4073b4dbc8358.jpg

if they claim its rebuilt with aftermarket shit you could always pull the oil pan or valve cover to see if the cams or rods are aftermarket... or you can get a scope and look down the cylinders to see if they have aftermarket pistons...

if its all a stock rebuild your only safe option is a compression test...
thats the best i can tell you

Back