Engine Not Starting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KrUsHa

hi everyone i just bought a 90 civic hatch si and the person i bought it from said he has no idea whats wrong with the motor he gave me a good deal so i picked it up it cranks but it just wont fire i was wondering if someone could help me out i know it could be a ton of things but this is some symptoms almost half the dipstick has oil on it the guy said that he almost used half a can of starting fluid in it and it ran for about 10 secs and then died 2 fuses were burnt one was the alternator solenoid something and one was under the hood it was a 20 im not sure what it is i dont have the manual but i could almost be sure its the fuel pump or somewhere in the fuel system cuz i cant hear the pump or anyhting is there a way or method to check if the fuel pump is working iam fairly new at this anything would help thanks

or if anyone has any ideas on were to start and how to check this engine i know it has good compression and awesome sparkto check if it is the fuel system thats bad is it ok to take out the spark plugs and put a little fuel in and see if it fires?? if so how much?

anyone have any ideas on how to test the fuel system i know that book costs a fortune lol and where is the fuel pump in a 1990 civic hatch ?

it is almost 100% that it is your main relay its located on the fender wall by your clutch.
with your symptoms your having I will put a twelve pack on it that it is the problem.

I just went through sorta the same problem with my 97sedan, did a low budget swap and the engine would not start for 3 weeks. Found out from some guy named T-Bone that there was something wrong "with a ring or something" on the distributor. I had crank, spark,, fuel(if its working you should smell it) everything but it would not start, he took off the dist. found the problem and the engine started. Found out in the chilton manual that i shoul have rechecked that myself.

All Im saying is check manuals.... they help

And the dist. can also use a second chek.

From what you're telling us, it sounds like the problem lies somewhere within the fuel systems. That consist of the fuel pump, and the main PGM-FI relay by the kick panel or sometimes the door. When u key on, u usually hear a bussing noise for a couple of seconds from the fuel pump which is usually located under the center of your back seat. Try not to rely on that so much, so what u should do is remove the inlet fuel line going to the fuel filter and have a buddy "key on" do not crank! If u got fuel coming out for a couple of seconds then you're 90% good with the fuel pump. The other 10% is to remove the bottom portion of your rear seat and gain access to your fuel pump. Disconnect the 2 pin connector from the fuel pump and bypass it directly to battery. I believe the orange/yellow wire is to positive and the other one to ground. Just switch it if you're not sure. The fuel should shoot out for as long as you're jumping the pump. If not then it's probably your PGM-FI relay. Check and repair all that before you go on to the next step. Let us know how it went. Good luck bro! Remember, no open flames while attempting this repair!!!

when i first bought my hatch it did the same thing would turn but wouldnt start, it was the Rotor inside the dist cap. the cap was cracked so water got in there and fucked things up, went to oreillys bout a cap and rotor, 20 bucks, put it on and it started right up, after sitting for a year with bad gas.... try that.

check for spark
pull a plug and ground the side on the block and have a bddy turn it over if there is a spark check firing order no spark you found the prob

Back