Engine overhaul tools and more....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DravenVX

Okay i have a few questions concerning engine overhaul tools. First of i need to know if there is some kinda website that sells tools or tool kits that include everything u would need to take apart and rebuild a honda engine. Now do i need a special tool to remove the alternator cuz i have been trying to remove this litttle bolt on the bottom of the alternator and it won't even budge, what gives? Now on to the distributor, any special tools required to change these cuz after i got the cap off i had no idea how to take the rest off? I know there is a special tool to remove the crankshaft pulley and to change the timing belt and where can i get these tools. Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Peter

harborfrieght.com

Distributor has three bolts surrounding it, the cap didn't need to come off.

The alternator has one large bolt that it pivots on and a small tensioner bolt to hold it in place.

:werd:

you can get the timing belt removal tool from the snap-on guy...its like 70 bucks (snap on...what do you expect). everything else is kinda self explainitory. if you are going to remove your engine, you really dont need ANY thing special. almost everything can be found in your normal garage. Torque Wrench, Ratchet Set, and basic wrenches. Wont really need anything else....maybe some assembly lube.

Add ring compressor to the list, sears has them.

Quoted post[/post]]
harborfrieght.com

Distributor has three bolts surrounding it, the cap didn't need to come off.

The alternator has one large bolt that it pivots on and a small tensioner bolt to hold it in place.

Yeah i took off the 3 bolts and the cap came off and now all i see is this spring and something to the left of it that moves everytime i move the crankshaft.

That large bolt on the bottom of the alternator, how do i get it out? There is also one bolt underneath the large bolt that i cannot get to cuz it's blocked off so i have to get that large bolt out of the way first. I will try and snap some pics tomorrow for you!

Thanks for all you help guys but i need info on kits that will allow me to rebuild an engine right down to the crankshaft and bare block and then put it all together! thanks

i did forget the ring seperator, the filer, and the compressor....those are all needed...also the burr removal block (cant remember the technical name, i just know where it is in the shop and what it does)

Get snapon's valve spring compressor tool. Doing it any other way sucked balls. Regular valve spring compressors won't do it as well.

I hope this isn't your daily driver.

you took the wrong three bolts off then.

PLP2550301.jpg

This isn't exactly what yours is I know, but it's very similar. If you look at the lower portion of the picture you can see where the bolts would need to be removed, yours will be the same way and IIRC it's 12mm bolts.

To remove the alternator bolt, remove the nut and punch it out.

Quoted post[/post]]
I hope this isn't your daily driver.

you took the wrong three bolts off then.

PLP2550301.jpg

This isn't exactly what yours is I know, but it's very similar. If you look at the lower portion of the picture you can see where the bolts would need to be removed, yours will be the same way and IIRC it's 12mm bolts.

To remove the alternator bolt, remove the nut and punch it out.

Yeah i took the little gray ones on the distributor cap but now i know which ones to take off, thanks! I broke all 3 anyways so i gotta get some new ones.
This engine is just sitting there so i figure why not learn the ropes on something i can afford to screw up, it's my old D15Z1 engine which was swapped out for a B16A last summer.
Thanks for the info everyone. btw I took some pics today but i gotta figure out how to post them first.

photobucket.com

upload, then click the picture, on it's larger size, right click, "copy image location"

paste it in the reply box and post the
img] ) just replace the { with a [

Quoted post[/post]]
You broke the screws holding the the cap on? :ph34r:

yeah thats exactly what i broke!!!!

I also broke the 3 screws that piece the IAC system together tonight! Everything is all F***en rusty!!! :mad:

I got the alternator off tonight by moving it up and down first and that kinda unlocked the big ass bolt that was holding it at the bottom, then i just carefully hammered it out!
I also got the distributor out as well, i can't believe i didn't go for the outside bolts first. :blink:

Pics will come soon!

Quoted post[/post]]
Get snapon's valve spring compressor tool. Doing it any other way sucked balls. Regular valve spring compressors won't do it as well.

okay snapon has a whole bunch of different ones available, which one is the best?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?t...re=snapon-store

Also i found a site that sells a good crankpulley remover, just wanna know what u guys think of it. It's the "Counter Holder Master Bonus Kit" for like $153.95 bucks.
http://shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopdisplayp...at=Honda+Tools+

Quoted post[/post]]
either or...sadly we have the more expensive one at the shop, but id assume the the $33 one would work, but i dont have it, so i couldnt tell you.

Also, if you are looking for the timing pully removal tool, here it is:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?it...&group_ID=12560

that lil crankshaft pulley tool is good for years up to 2000, right? at least it will be compatible with all eg civics, correct?
So the one i was looking at is not worth getting cuz this lil thing does the same job, right?
thanks for all the help btw

i think up to 2001 actually, but yeah, it holds the pully in place so you can get the nut off.

Back