Engine Redline

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

Anyone know the redline of this engine offhand? This is what's in my DX and I'm frankensteining a turbokit for a D16Y8 onto it. Unfortunately I don't see a bright future for my little B7... SO. I plan on finding a salvaged/used D16Y8 and sticking that in with the turbo on it. I know that VTEC engines rev higher and have higher redlines than non-VTEC engines, so I'm trying to remember the redline of my engine... The D15... you know. So anyway, anyone know offhand? I knew it at one time... I'm thinking somewhere between 6 and 7k but not sure, the engine list doesn't say.

130? Har har! You're funny! More like 110 with my CAI and exhaust... :p

I should be making 150 under boost with the turbo tho... which is an improvement to say the least.

the y8?
D16Y8 1.6 16V SOHC VTEC-II PGM-FI 1590 127hp@6600rpm 107tq@5500rpm '96-'00 Civic EX (USA)

my bad, i mis read...yea the dx...im in ur shoes...intake and I/H/E...110 sounds about right hahah
but the redline on our motor is about 6000...makes max power at 5900 i think

Regular/daily driving I don't clear 4k RPM much (just not my driving style...), but once I get the turbo that might change... Am I safe to assume I'd be Ok to rev it up to 5000/5500 RPM (while under boost) and be safe? Or will it crap my engine out (quicker than it will anyway ;) )?

Yeah the Y8 is what I'm gonna drop in when the B7 takes a shit.

I revved my D15B7 up to redline several times a day... make that several times on every single trip. It ran perfectly. If you're under boost, just make sure not to get greedy, and tune it properly so you don't pre-detonate and melt a piston or throw a rod.

I don't doubt the reliability of the D15... the SOHC 1.5 liter was in Honda's lineup for a long time, so I figure they had a lot of time to work out the finer points. The engine/trans has 164k on it, and I will be getting a new clutch, so...

Honestly I'm more worried about the trans than the motor. When I bought the car I had someone go through the top end, and it was all in immaculate shape because it was a company car at a medical office so it was treated nice at least. I think I've probably been the first person to take it over 4k RPM... :lol:

I just get worried when I see 164k on the odometer and hear the word "boost"...

i tac mine up all the time, 186k and doesnt burn a drop of oil..
runs awesome, i love my little sohc..her name is cassandra

Nice, good to know I've got awhile before it takes a crap. :D

Better put a resonator in my exhaust tho, or the popos might get on me... Shit gets loud up above 3500 RPM! Piping from the cat back to a badass sounding muffler, no resonators at all. :p Hooray for oregon, not an emissions law to be found!

...and my ride's named Sleipnir, BTW. B)

no emissions here in maine either, but an illegal exhaust is 98 bucks...sucks it, what a gay law...what about harleys and big ass diesels, and all the :mullet: redneck trucks with a glasspack, whatever..

i've gotten my b7 up to 6300 in third gear. you can literrally feel the motor pissing itself. ahhh good times...

Back