Engine Swap 96-98 to 99-00

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rmas

Hi,

I have a Honda civic 96-98 model, sedan... engine D15Z6 VTEC with 115hp, and i bought a 99-00 B16A2 engine to swap.

My problem is to use the 96-98 engine wiring in the B16A2 engine, i have noticed that some plugs dont go anywhere in the 99-00 B16A2 engine, also the alternator plug isn't the same.

my question is can i use with no problems the 96-98 wiring in the 99-00 engine?? what problems may occur from this??

any help is apreciated...

best regards

thanks for the quick response... by the way can you tell me where do i make my presentation to the forum??

96-98 is obd2a. 99-00 is obd2b. You will need an obd2a - obd2b jumper harness and an obd2b ecu. I believe the 99-00 civic si uses the pm3 but I could be wrong. Its about half the size of most honda ecu's. Everything else should work just fine.

my problem is that the 99-00 plug (i think its the A plug) that goes to the ECU that is located inside the car, went with the car body to the junkyard, and i am forced to use my ODB2A engine harness (D15Z6) in my ODB2B engine (B16A2)...

so fare i only noticed to wires that dont connect to anywhere, one is located near the air intake box and the other wire is near the injectors... notice that all wires are connected to the engine except these two.

You are going to need to get another one if you plan on retaining the rest of the harness left in the car (obd2a). Goto a junkyard and pull one from a 96-98 civic equipped with vtec. You need the shock tower to the dash section of the harness I presume.

Or you can just convert it all to obd2b and run a complete 99-00 civic si harness. Just more work.

thanks for your help... the engine harness i am using is already from a VTEC engine, lets see if i can make it run like this, any further questions i will post them here.

You are going to need to get another one if you plan on retaining the rest of the harness left in the car (obd2a). Goto a junkyard and pull one from a 96-98 civic equipped with vtec. You need the shock tower to the dash section of the harness I presume.

Or you can just convert it all to obd2b and run a complete 99-00 civic si harness. Just more work.
there is no shock tower to the dash section in an ek it is one peice from engine to ecu. you do not need to get a new harness you can wire your harness to your engine. if the plugs are different you need to find plugs that work and swap them on to your harness. just pay attention to the wire colors and you should be fine.

thanks guys, next saturday the mechanic said my car will be ready... lets hope so, ill keep you posted :)

some pics of the swap an the guys working in my car

finally got all in place, found a 96-98 engine wiring, and will try to start the car now...

a question, the mechanic measured the engine compression, and in 2 cylinders it came out 12 Bar, and in the other 2 it only gave 10 Bar...

The question is, is it normal that diference in compression??

p.s - (the engine is without working, for 4 months know)

finally got the car working... :)

the only thing that didnt work was the RPM gauge, does anybody now possible causes for this????

blue wire from the dash harness go to anything? you can use the ICM wire, but you should have a blue wire coming from the engine harness that also goes to the dash harness.

i found a blue wire, tha comes from the engine harness, but it doesnt go anywhere... its located on the drivers side, next to the plug that goes inside the car... could be this one?? can i run a wire from the dristribuitor directly to the tach or does it need to go trough the ECU???

OBD1 doesnt care, but OBD2, the ecu has a sensor called NEP that it needs to go to. Check the pinouts in the reference section

i thought i could wire it directly to the cluster... in the firewall, near the brake booster, (factory test lead) cant i do a direct connect to my cluster) sorry to be such a pain in the ass for you guys, but very noob in this, and noobless in engine swap, since this was my first :)

the tachometer is a pulse width driven meter. meaning, the pulse of voltage from the distributor that drives the injectors, or the ICM, or the designated blue wire. the tach requires nothing more than the pulse of the distributor. any way you feel is easy to get the pulse signal to the tach is up to you, it is not dependant on anything else. no computers or other sensors

Back