engine swap complete

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

I just got my car back tonight. I swapped an h22a into my 92 Accord. Now heres a real noob question. How do I know if the v-tec is working? I mean I know I could check all the sensors but do you feel the v-tec kivk in while your driving? I've never had a car with v-tec so I don't know what to look for while driving. I'm ready to get my balls busted for this question so go ahead, but can someone explain if you can tell while your driving whether the v-tec is working or not? Thanks

Originally posted by mozzandherb@Sep 21 2005, 10:58 PM
What does it sound like? I know it's a dumb question, but please dude.
[post=558127]Quoted post[/post]​

Um, just like then engine opens up and gives a high pitched noise, do you have any mods on it? Sometimes it's hard to hear on stock intake/exhaust.

It's not as much something you feel or hear most of the time. Keep an eye on your tachometer and speedometer. When you break 5000 rpm or so, you should notice that the tach needles starts to move much faster, and you should be accelerating much faster than in the lower rpms. Basically when VTEC kicks in it increases your power so that you can accelerate much faster. So it's not that the motor makes a completely different sound at that point. It's basically your normal engine sound, just more aggressive. It aint like a turbo or anything.

You should see a pretty significant difference, although I've heard it's much more noticeable in a B series motor than in a H series. Because of the much larger engine size of the H22, it makes a lot more torque at lower rpms. Hell it's about 50% more torque than a B16, AND at a lower rpm. So your difference between no VTEC and VTEC ENGAGED may not be as obvious as with a B series, which makes shit torque and shit horsepower until VTEC kicks in, when suddenly the engine goes from average to vicious.

If you have a louder than factory exhaust, you will definitely notice a much more aggressive, pissed off sound from the engine when you are in the VTEC powerband. I really don't know if it's the same with an H series engine. I've heard that it's a lot less noticeable. Not that I wouldn't mind running H22 13 second 1/4 miles as opposed to 15s or better with the B16. :)

H22 dont have to loud of a vtec. you should be able to feel it with a h22. If you wanna hear what vtec sounds like find a b16. there vtec is the loudest out of the vtec motors from what i have heard. My b16 roars through a 4-1 itr headers.

Originally posted by drpenguin@Sep 21 2005, 11:04 PM
H22 dont have to loud of a vtec. you should be able to feel it with a h22. If you wanna hear what vtec sounds like find a b16. there vtec is the loudest out of the vtec motors from what i have heard. My b16 roars through a 4-1 itr headers.
[post=558181]Quoted post[/post]​

This b16a1 motor must really be awesome,my civic is fitted with d15z7 sohc 3 stage vtec,when the vtec kicks in theres a noticeable urge,and the thing attacks the revcounter with much vigour.....but this DOHC VTEC B16A1 must be on a whole other level,all the car magazine reports ive read describe the b16a1 as "maniacal", .....i should definatley look at a swap.

Originally posted by nightshift+Sep 22 2005, 06:38 AM-->
drpenguin
@Sep 21 2005, 11:04 PM
[post=558181]Quoted post[/post]​

This b16a1 motor must really be awesome,my civic is fitted with d15z7 sohc 3 stage vtec,when the vtec kicks in theres a noticeable urge,and the thing attacks the revcounter with much vigour.....but this DOHC VTEC B16A1 must be on a whole other level,all the car magazine reports ive read describe the b16a1 as "maniacal", .....i should definatley look at a swap.
[post=558275]Quoted post[/post]​

I can't really do anything but smile.
:)
Of 6 h22 powered vehicles i have driven, the ONLY one we couldn't hear it GOOD was in a 99 Prelude.
You should still be able to hear it just fine?
My b16's VTAK is really loud, and for the most part, just a popo magnet.

If you're running a VTEC ECU, and if once the engine is up to operating temp you're not throwing any codes, it's pretty safe to assume VTEC is engaging. :)

But yeah, it'll get louder. You really can't miss it. Also, if your rev limit is 6000 or 6500 rpm, VTEC is NOT engaging. If you're revving to 8000 rpm, VTEC is engaging. This is assuming a stock ECU, of course.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 22 2005, 09:01 AM
[post=558312]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, that is a definite downside. Last night I was turning a familiar corner on the way home in 2nd, gunned it to 7000, shifted into third, when I spotted the 2 cops in the Jewel parking lot sitting in their squad cars bullshittin and gettin fatter. Let off the throttle right away and shifted into 4th and kept it quiet the rest of the way. It sucks sometimes having power you can't use. <_<

Oh and did I mention I still don't have a working speed sensor, so I have no idea how fast I'm actually going. It's always nerve racking when I see a cop because I don't know if I'm speeding or not.

when i had the b16 pistons in my lsv, vtec kicked hard as fuck; specialy in the rex....now with the ls pistons its not as loud

Originally posted by confusatron+Sep 22 2005, 12:10 PM-->
VTECin5th
@Sep 22 2005, 09:01 AM
[post=558312]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, that is a definite downside. Last night I was turning a familiar corner on the way home in 2nd, gunned it to 7000, shifted into third, when I spotted the 2 cops in the Jewel parking lot sitting in their squad cars bullshittin and gettin fatter. Let off the throttle right away and shifted into 4th and kept it quiet the rest of the way. It sucks sometimes having power you can't use. <_<

Oh and did I mention I still don't have a working speed sensor, so I have no idea how fast I'm actually going. It's always nerve racking when I see a cop because I don't know if I'm speeding or not.
[post=558567]Quoted post[/post]​

you should get that fixed if you need a speed sensor i might be able to hook you up with one. And as for it being mechanical. No shit its mech its a damn machine. LoL I can bring it up to 3 grand, drop the clutch take it to 8. shift and still break the tires loose in 2rd on a stock clutch.

Back