Engine Swap ECU problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92accord69

Hey guys, whats up? First off, I have a 1992 Honda Accord Sedan Automatic Transmission. Recently I swapped out both the engine and transmission due to many problems with both, I did it all myself. I swapped in the exact same engine and transmission that come standard on these cars. A week ago i finished connecting everything, and went to start it, with jumper cables cuz the battery died after playing cd's for about 40 hours, and the engine cranked, but didnt turn over. I checked my haynes manual, and it said first to check that the Check Engine light comes on when u first turn the car to the ON position. I checked, and the light does not come on. The manual says that this indicates that the ECU is not getting any power. Now, I checked every single connector on the wiring harness about 50 times each, so i know its not something stupid like that. Also, all the lights in the car work, the radio works, the power windows and locks and heating and air all work, so i know that the power is connected to the car right. My question is how do i find out what connection is for the ECU getting power? I looked in my manual's wiring diagrams, but cant find a power connection for the ECU. I tried jumping the diagnostic connector, but it didnt flash once. Also, yes i checked all the fuses a million times also, and they are all fine. Also, when i turn on the car, there is two little clicking sounds, like a solenoid or something. I remember there used to be one clicking sound, but now theres two. This seems to be a very important part with the clicking sounds. I am at a loss for what to do, I was gonna go down to the junkyard and try to get my hands on a new ECU but i dont think thats the case, it was running the engine fine before all this. Also, i went to the junkyard and got a new ECU and plugged it up and it didnt change anything. I am very mechanically inclined, i did do the engine and tranny swap myself, and havent come across a repair yet i couldnt do myself with this car. I dont like the idea of going to a shop and getting screwed, let alone the cost to tow it there. Also, pride is a big thing, i got this far, why give in now? All right well enough of my moaning, what do you all recommend? The sooner i get this car fixed the better, im takin the bus to work. Thanks...

i'm not positive if the f-series motors have a ground on the thermostat housing like the b and d series motors but you could check that. that will definately cause your ecu to get no power.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Aug 31 2004, 04:04 AM
i'm not positive if the f-series motors have a ground on the thermostat housing like the b and d series motors but you could check that. that will definately cause your ecu to get no power.
[post=384143]Quoted post[/post]​

I was also thinking that your problem might be a bad ground somewhere.

Back