1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Swap ECU problems

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by 92accord69, Aug 31, 2004.

1. 92accord69

92accord69 Junior Member

Hey guys, whats up? First off, I have a 1992 Honda Accord Sedan Automatic Transmission. Recently I swapped out both the engine and transmission due to many problems with both, I did it all myself. I swapped in the exact same engine and transmission that come standard on these cars. A week ago i finished connecting everything, and went to start it, with jumper cables cuz the battery died after playing cd's for about 40 hours, and the engine cranked, but didnt turn over. I checked my haynes manual, and it said first to check that the Check Engine light comes on when u first turn the car to the ON position. I checked, and the light does not come on. The manual says that this indicates that the ECU is not getting any power. Now, I checked every single connector on the wiring harness about 50 times each, so i know its not something stupid like that. Also, all the lights in the car work, the radio works, the power windows and locks and heating and air all work, so i know that the power is connected to the car right. My question is how do i find out what connection is for the ECU getting power? I looked in my manual's wiring diagrams, but cant find a power connection for the ECU. I tried jumping the diagnostic connector, but it didnt flash once. Also, yes i checked all the fuses a million times also, and they are all fine. Also, when i turn on the car, there is two little clicking sounds, like a solenoid or something. I remember there used to be one clicking sound, but now theres two. This seems to be a very important part with the clicking sounds. I am at a loss for what to do, I was gonna go down to the junkyard and try to get my hands on a new ECU but i dont think thats the case, it was running the engine fine before all this. Also, i went to the junkyard and got a new ECU and plugged it up and it didnt change anything. I am very mechanically inclined, i did do the engine and tranny swap myself, and havent come across a repair yet i couldnt do myself with this car. I dont like the idea of going to a shop and getting screwed, let alone the cost to tow it there. Also, pride is a big thing, i got this far, why give in now? All right well enough of my moaning, what do you all recommend? The sooner i get this car fixed the better, im takin the bus to work. Thanks...

2. Johnnylawless

Johnnylawless Senior Member

make sure the plug on your alternator is plugged in
    yep you guessed it,done that been there.
    Hope thats it :unsure:

3. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

i'm not positive if the f-series motors have a ground on the thermostat housing like the b and d series motors but you could check that. that will definately cause your ecu to get no power.

4. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

I was also thinking that your problem might be a bad ground somewhere.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted