engine swap ideas (warning:long winded)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok thx everybody so, basically a boosted d series or a n/a b h or k??

yeah pretty much you should go with N/A options on this one. no boosted single cams because after you boost it thats usually it if you ever wanted more power later on in your hatch you couldnt with the single cam you would be better off just putting in the B, H, or K. after running it N/A with your goal HP if you got bored with that you could just boost or do some more work to the motor or whatever you want

Last edited:
What you should do depends on your goals. 170-200 is doable on pretty much all of the engines. Factors include price, torque and gearing.

Someone(Humble Performance I think) also just hit 163whp/~140lb-tq in a 78mm bore D16 with just pistons, resleeve, header, and tuning. Pretty impressive and with just swapping out the pistons, it should be set for boost.

Also, not much people run boost in autoX because it's mostly turns(which means you're not WOT anyways except exits and the very short straits). Lag isn't really the issue; it's the torque(wheelspin). Last year's SCCA, ITA I believe, winner in Ohio was a CRX with a 170whp D15.

Last edited:
thanks for that info to explain why i dont want to boost in AutoX would i loose torque on a set of lightweight pulleys on the D16A1 in AutoX with a lightweight flywheel i know if i boosted it with that stuff on it would but N/A i not sure if im wrong about loosing torque boosted with that stuff blame a Honda Tech i talked to

You wouldn't lose torque with lightweight flywheels or pulley. I wouldn't run a lightweight crankpulley on a D16 due to the hamonics issues(some will say it's fine, but it's a risk as plenty of people have had issues with this on pretty much any engine).

The lightweight flywheel; people think it makes you lose torque but all it does is reduce the amount of energy stored by the flywheel. For AutoX, a lightweight flywheel is great(like around 7-12lbs) but for drag, you'd want a little weight to help you with launches(11-15lbs).

Well thanks for that are you saying that i wouldnt lose torque boosted or N/A
how much does the stock flywheel weigh

oh good lord thats alot so ill have to buy one 4 drag and one for AutoX that blows do they make a 10 pound flywheel wouldnt that be a good average

I think Exedy or some other company makes a 11lb one. 12lb(which is more common) should be decent for both autoX and drag.

oh thanks for that i plan on getting that motor up on the engine stand to tear it apart as soon as i get the bearings and full gasket set ill put pics up when its bout to go in
do i really need to make custom driver mount for the A1 or not some say yes some say no

for the autox flywheel get the lightest one that you are comfortable daily driving, this way you will have the least amount of rotating mass to accelerate and the best response/acceleration.

for dragging it's a lot harder to figure what flywheel is best. depending on what rpm you launch at the stock may be your best option. I've seen cars with a stock flywheel run faster times than with a lightweight flywheel because they have much more inertia at launch.

Back