Engine swaps and installers??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

amc5

Hello, Im new to the board and have a few questions.

Hope this is the right place to post this...

My friend and I are going to be doing a swap in my 94' civic EX soon. I honestly dont really want to do it myself since i've never done one, and he claims he knows how but i'm worried. Does anyone know of a place/person that can do the swap near Atlanta Ga, and can possibly get engines as well? I'm willing to drive to a place if its reputable and is priced reasonable. Or, if anyone on the site is quite knowlegable about swaps and could help out ....and get paid of course. Thanks

also..please dont flame me too bad.. i did a search but didnt find too much. I am in the process of choosing the exact swap. Right now its between B16a2 SiRII or B18C1. The Horsepower difference in the two is only 10Hp but the price is usually around $1000 difference. I read that most people like the B18C1 (GSR) but having a hard time justifying the grand difference... any input?? Thanks

well first of all what are your plans for the car? like drag car? autocross?
i would do the gsr b18c1 engine because of the more torque over the b16

Originally posted by VTECPOWER@Mar 5 2005, 11:53 PM
well first of all what are your plans for the car? like drag car? autocross?
i would do the gsr b18c1 engine because of the more torque over the b16
[post=469755]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

there is more that can be done to the gsr also as far as getting more power out of it then the b16 trust me i wish i would of saved the money and got me a b18c

Its all gonna depend on your budget. A strong B16 with bolt ons will do you good, and be a fun car. I you have the money to SPARE i would say go for the GSR no question, other wise a b16 can be just as much fun just not quite as fast. Still revs the 8k range and all.

If you have a nice work area and enough tools and what not, you guys could probably pull the swap off. Just look up some old threads and see exactly what all needs to be done. Witch isint much aside fromt geting the engine in. Other then that i would just say try and get a clean looking engine.

I would say expect to spend any where from 1k to 2k for labor at a shop and at least 700 for an engine and trany depending on what generation B16 you start with, from there it gos on up to the 3500 price ranges for a GSR engine and trany, though you can mis match, IE a cheaper B16 si trany with the GSR motor, or even an LS trany will be cheaper but the gearing just isint as fun.

wow... thanks for the quick responses!!!

1. As for the car, I dont think I want to run a turbo. My goal is to build a strong running car as a daily driver. I would like to be able to at least get the car to run in the 14.0 14.5 range.

2. I read on here about people getting GSRs and then building them with forged pistons and sleeved cylinders and head jobs etc., I just dont see how they afford it. I see GSR engine swaps for 3500 plus all extras (heads, pistons, etc)!! So with my intentions and budget, I see myself with a GSR with maybe a few bolt ons hoping to pull out around 200hp.

3. With that said, any suggestions on what to do to the motor before I put it in? I'd hate to get it in and wish i had replaced something.

4. If I decide not to do it myself, anyone got any recommendations of shops to get the engine and maybe install it as well out here on the East Coast?

Sorry for all the questions, but i do appreciate all the help. I hope to help you guys out one day. Thanks!! :)

Hey...WELCOME TO HONDASWAP...........
dont be afraid to ask question here...I mean thats what the forum is here for ahh....Theres a ton of usefull info here....You just have to read read read......

Hey man....If you never done a honda swap before, Fu*k it...Just go for It. Dont take it to a shop. DIY and you'll save a ton of money.....Dont be afraid...You might fu** up here and there but with the help of THe guys here anything can get done..I did mines with no knowledge of hondas at all, thanks again to the Guys here.....
Dude just give it a shot and do the swap yourself.....You'll get better at it...TRust me....I'm going for my 3rd swap now......and counting...

as for the b16 and gsr ..Id say go for the gsr.....why? I dont know..... :D

GOOD LUCK......... :thumbsup:

Originally posted by amc5@Mar 6 2005, 02:58 PM
wow... thanks for the quick responses!!!

1. As for the car, I dont think I want to run a turbo. My goal is to build a strong running car as a daily driver. I would like to be able to at least get the car to run in the 14.0 14.5 range.
B16A can do that, but so can a GSR. I personally would just save the little extra and go GSR. I am thinking about upping to the B18C5 myself.

2. I read on here about people getting GSRs and then building them with forged pistons and sleeved cylinders and head jobs etc., I just dont see how they afford it. I see GSR engine swaps for 3500 plus all extras (heads, pistons, etc)!! So with my intentions and budget, I see myself with a GSR with maybe a few bolt ons hoping to pull out around 200hp.
Shoot for 180-190ish and you will be less dissapointed, or boost it.

3. With that said, any suggestions on what to do to the motor before I put it in? I'd hate to get it in and wish i had replaced something.

Pull off the tranny and look at the clutch, replace if there is no meat left, or looks too worn. Thermostat, fanswitch, hoses, all the littel inexpensive shit that can cause post swap headaches.

4. If I decide not to do it myself, anyone got any recommendations of shops to get the engine and maybe install it as well out here on the East Coast?

Not familiar with the area

Sorry for all the questions, but i do appreciate all the help. I hope to help you guys out one day. Thanks!! :)
[post=469822]Quoted post[/post]​

92b16vx You rock!! :worthy:

Thanks for the info. As of right now, I have overwhelming response to go GSR route. Im making a list of things to get with it to replace (clutch, thermostat, etc). Think pulleys are worthy for a B18C?

I would definetly change the timing belt and water pump, It would be a bitch if got it in and running, then had to go back and replace that stuf. Also might as well put a new clutch in while the motor is outta the car, I got an exedy oem replacement clutch kit of ebay for 140 when I did my swap....hope this helps

ok i had a d series and i came here more than a year agoand asked questions as u are doing. being in my ricer stage then i wanted an h22a with full body kit and all that jazz. but after talking to people here and finding out what i was really going to use the car for i decided on going with the gsr. i could have gotten a b16 cheaper but in the long run you will have to put alot more into it to get it at the same point as a gsr. but as someone said b4 if you can piece it together thats the way to go cuz youll get eveything that you want. for example if your on a budget try an lsvtec(lots of guys love em) ls block gsr head and tranny of choice(id got b16) and if you shop around you could have all that shit for cheap esp. the block.

:withstupid: def change the clutch if you need it or not. when i did my swap i wish i did it now im just waiting for this one to die so i can put in something good for the turbo this spring. good luck and i diy get the books and
....You just have to read read read......

you guys are helping me out big time. :thankyousigna2:

Is there a good step by step book, or pictures on a swap somewhere? maybe an issue of some mag from the past?

Anyone recommend a place on the East Coast or Mid to get my B18C from?

Back