Engine temperature guage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
My guage doesn't work. I don't want to buy an aftermarket cluster or a separate guage either. My cluster is aftermarket white face with red needles. Didn't have enough time to pull off the panel so I'll do it later to see if it's missing wiring behind it. That should be the problem right?

Also I think the guage is meant for an automatic because it has no tach. Those numbnuts I bought my car from did some retarded work to it.

Last edited:
if theres no tach then it's for a dx or cx. (cheap) if it was for an auto there would be a line of letters on the right side P,R,N,D,1,2, right next to the gas gauge.

now just for your knowledge. the temp gauge on a honda is not that accurate. if it does not work and you cant find the problem. it would be in your best interest to replace it with an after market gauge - it will be a lot more dependable

Like a whole aftermarket cluster or just the temp guage? I tore off the dash and pulled out my cluster and it looks fine just missing a switch to the light on the left of the oil light but other than that it's fine. Yea it's for a dx that's my ride but come on..no tach? Maybe I will buy an aftermarket cluster afterall...But I don't know how I'd hook up the tach. I just don't want to have a rice-mobile with all these guages around the interior lol. Especially those big ass tachs with the shift light.

The engine temp guage plugs in to the radiator right? Any guages you'd recommend? New whole cluster with egt and tach? Also how do you wire up a tach?

Appreciate the help really rep to you custom painter. :)

well a new EX cluster would be nice with the tach. alls you should have to do is plug it in. everything in OBD1 cars are interchangable theres not a whole bunch of difference...

now the next thing i would do is replace the temp sensor it's screwed into the housing with your thermostat it's simple to remove and replace theres nothing in the way it's like a 20 dollar fix
that should get your stock temp gauge working if everything is in order

My hatch is a DX and I found a cluster in a 92 civic 4dr lx in junk yard. Guy let me take it out for 25.00. Went right in and everything worked.
Then you will have tach and different temp guage. Need to look at sender in block then.

So if I buy an ex cluster then my p08 should already be reading the RPMs and just the cluster has to be installed?

That's what I want to know is if the dx cluster doesn't show rpms, then is it even set to read rpms?? Like is the tach run by the ecu or is it hooked up directly to a sensor on the tranny much like a temp is on the radiator? Or is it just plug and play.

By the way, most of the sensors and lines are disconnected from my d15b7 right now, because I have a jdm d15b vtec with tranny and ecu sitting right next to my car on wood. Just trying to figure out what I should do immediately after install. Because not only is the guage not working, but how can it read accurately when my coolant isn't even circulating?

Your tach should work if you use a SI, EX, or the LX like I did.
The wiring is supposed to be in harness for it to work.
A tach picks up signal from dist and coil. No relays are required.

Back