engine ticking?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ericL

around 3k-3.5k I can hear a ticking coming from the engine (valves)...is this bad? I should note that the noise in not loud but definitly audible without the radio on and at speeds below 45 mph...

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Sep 8 2005, 01:06 AM
Yeah, sounds like it may be time for an adjustment.
[post=551188]Quoted post[/post]​

What/how needs adjusted?

some ticking is okay....when you adjust them dont over tighten them......when you feel a little drag on the feeler your done....

I watched my buddy adjust valve lash before and it didn't look that bad...I need to get my timing belt/water pump done too, should I wait or just do it before?

Originally posted by ericL@Sep 8 2005, 11:54 AM
I watched my buddy adjust valve lash before and it didn't look that bad...I need to get my timing belt/water pump done too, should I wait or just do it before?
[post=551422]Quoted post[/post]​

You can do it before.. You only have to pull your valve cover.. has nothing to do with your timing belt/water pump.

Originally posted by phyregod+Sep 8 2005, 11:57 AM-->
@Sep 8 2005, 11:54 AM
[post=551422]Quoted post[/post]​

You can do it before.. You only have to pull your valve cover.. has nothing to do with your timing belt/water pump.
[post=551427]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, he's just saying he wants to have the pump and belt replaced soon anyway.

So he might as well get it done all at the same time.

my B16 does the same thing. I can hear it all the time at any speed. I have had the valves adjusted and all that and it still does it. I asked the shop that put in my motor and they said it was fine

Originally posted by drpenguin@Sep 10 2005, 06:56 PM
my B16 does the same thing. I can hear it all the time at any speed. I have had the valves adjusted and all that and it still does it. I asked the shop that put in my motor and they said it was fine
[post=552460]Quoted post[/post]​

Its a honda...they all sound like that. Well, pretty much all b-series i should say.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD+Sep 10 2005, 08:38 PM-->
drpenguin
@Sep 10 2005, 06:56 PM
[post=552460]Quoted post[/post]​

Its a honda...they all sound like that. Well, pretty much all b-series i should say.
[post=552485]Quoted post[/post]​

hmm? I have 69k miles on the b16 and I hear no valve lash at all.

does the generation of b16 matter? my Ls i could hear it to. it wasnt as noaticeable due to the turbo

Originally posted by drpenguin@Sep 12 2005, 04:37 AM
does the generation of b16 matter? my Ls i could hear it to. it wasnt as noaticeable due to the turbo
[post=552912]Quoted post[/post]​

I've never had valve ticking.. My 97 ls teggy doesn't tick, my CRX with B18 swap didn't tick... Nor did any of my D series engines (3)...

Well, come to think of it, my d16a6 started ticking once, but after a valve adjustment, everything was back to normal again.

Will it hurt the engine tho? It's not loud at all, just barely audible..

no its not hurting the motor. its normal for it to sound like it. im not really sure how to get rid of it. I guess get some dynamat or some shit and cake your fire wall with it. if its really that big of a deal. head over to the honda dealership and have them listen to it. when in doubt ask the people that play with them for a living

Back